Excel Pivot Tables Tutorial : What is a Pivot Table and How to Make one

Posted on August 19th, 2009 in Excel Howtos , Featured , Learn Excel , Pivot Tables & Charts - 134 comments

Excel pivot tables are very useful and powerful feature of MS Excel. They can be used to summarize, analyze, explore and present your data.

In plain English, it means, you can take the sales data with columns like salesman, region and product-wise revenues and use pivot tables to quickly find out how products are performing in each region.

In this tutorial, we will learn what is a pivot table and how to make a pivot table using excel.

Excel Pivot Tables: Tutorial

Click here to see a video tutorial of making pivot tables in excel | One more Pivot Table Video Tutorial

Example uses of Pivot Tables

As I said before pivot tables are very powerful and useful. There are numerous uses of pivot tables that we can talk about them until Christmas.

Here are some example uses of pivot tables:

• Summarizing data like finding the average sales for each region for each product from a product sales data table.
  • Listing unique values in any column of a table [learn more]
  • Creating a pivot report with sub-totals and custom formats
  • Making a dynamic pivot chart
  • Filtering, sorting, drilling-down data in the reports without writing one formula or macro.
  • Transposing data – i.e. moving rows to columns or columns to rows. [learn more]
  • Linking data sources outside excel and be able to make pivot reports out of such data.

Excel Pivot Table Tutorial: How to create your first pivot table

Let us make your first pivot table. We will use example data in the following format. Download the excel pivot tables tutorial workbook with the data.
Pivot Tables in Excel - Tutorial

Step 1:  Select the data
Select the data range from which you want to make the pivot table.

Insert Pivot Table in Excel WorksheetStep 2:  Go to Insert ribbon and click on new Pivot table option
To insert a new pivot table in to your spreadsheet, go to Insert ribbon and click pivot table icon and select pivot table option.

Step 3:  Select the target cell where you want to place the pivot table. For starters, select New worksheet.
Excel will display a pivot table wizard where you can specify the pivot table target location etc. Select “New worksheet” option and your pivot table will be placed in newly created worksheet.

Step 4:  Make your first pivot report

The pivot report UI is very intuitive and sandbox like. To make powerful analysis, all you have to do is drag and drop fields in to the pivot table grid area. In excel 2007, you can also control this by using the “Pivot table panel”.

The pivot report is divided in to header and body sections. You can drag and drop the fields you want in each area. The body itself contains three parts. Rows, Columns and Cells. You can use any fields in these areas too.

For the above sample data, I have set this criteria:

Pivot Table Settings - Row, Column, Header and content settings

And the outcome is this pivot report.

Example Pivot Report - Excel Pivot Tables

It might be a bit difficult to understand how this works. But believe me, if you have seen any reports or worked with any other reporting systems, then the idea of pivot tables, pivot reports and pivot charts becomes quite simple to you.

You can use the excel pivot table features to make a more complicated pivot report like this in no time.
Example Pivot Report - A very detailed Pivot Table with sub-totals and totals

Some useful tips on Excel Pivot Tables

• You can apply any formatting to the pivot tables. MS Excel has some very good pivot table formats (and they are better in Excel 2007 and 2010).
  • You can easily change the pivot table summary formulas. Right click on pivot table and select “summarize data by” option.
  • You can also apply conditional formatting on pivot tables although you may want to be a bit careful as pivot tables scale in size depending on the data.
  • Whenever the original data from which pivot tables are constructed, just right click on the pivot table and select “Refresh Data” option.
  • If you want to drill down on a particular summary value, just double click on it. Excel will create a new sheet with the data corresponding to that pivot report value. (This is extremely useful)
  • Making a pivot chart from a pivot table is very simple. Just click on the pivot chart icon from tool bar or Options ribbon area and follow the wizard.
  • More Pivot Table Tips & Tricks

Download the excel pivot tables tutorial workbook and practice yourself

Click here to download the excel pivot tables tutorial workbook. [ 2007-2013 version of tutorial here]
The workbook has sample data and one pivot table in it. You can play with it to learn more.

Checkout the video tutorial to make excel pivot tables

Share your experiences of using pivot tables

Tell me how you use pivot tables, your favorite tricks using comments.

Join Excel School & Learn Pivot Tables, Data Analysis & More

I run an online Excel training program called as Excel School where you can learn Pivot tables, data analysis, dashboard reporting, charting, formulas and so much more in a step-by-step fashion.

Learn more about Excel School.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

134 Responses to “Excel Pivot Tables Tutorial : What is a Pivot Table and How to Make one”

1. Glen Feechan says:

Nice clear article, good to see someone else trumpeting the value of pivot tables. If you read this and are still not sure, you can learn by video:

Excel 2003 version

Excel 2007 version

It is well worth making the effort to learn pivot tables – you won’t look back once you do.

2. [...] week we have posted a simple to understand excel pivot table tutorial here. Today I am going to supplement the tutorial with a 15 second video tutorial on Making excel [...]

3. [...] good is a bunch of data when you can analyze it? That is where Pivot tables come in to picture [pivot table tutorial]. Thankfully, you dont need to do much. Just click a button and your table goes to pivot [...]

4. Andrea says:

Dear Expert,
    How can I replace the “Sum of” to “Different of” in a pivot table? I have a set of data that consists of both 2007 and 2008 sales, however these info were in one same column that name “period”. Could you kindly show me the formula that I can add into the Pivot table to show the comparisions?
    Thanks a zillion

5. Meikel says:

Well structured and presented as usual.
    I’m doing a lot with pivot tables. What I am looking for is a tool where you can change the data directly in the pivot table.
    Do you have an idea?

br, Meikel

6. louis says:

I want to apply the same type of pivot table to a different file I get each month (but same format and type of data). Can I “save” a custom pivot table format ? (excel 2003)

7. [...] means anyone can analyze and visualize millions of rows of data using powerpivot. It is like pivot tables on SUMPRODUCT (oh, I could totally say steroids, but who wants a cliche on a [...]

8. srikanth says:

hi chandoo,
    thanks. it was very simple and clear. really it is very usefull. it was well presented. great job.

9. TMS says:

Thanks for posting this info. I’ve been struggling with pivot tables for some time now and this has cleared up a lot of my confusion. Nice job.

@Louis… yes, you can save custom pivot formats…

@Srikant & TMS: thank you very much. I am happy you liked this tutorial.

11. [...] (If you are not familiar with basic pivot tables, you should check out this excellent pivot tables tutorial) [...]

12. [...] multiple locations divided into various regions. It is recommended that you be familiar with the concept of pivot tables and also familiar with basic accounting [...]

13. Jeremiah Minifield says:

Will this cover Excel 97 and Excel 2002?

@Jeremiah… The steps are more or less similar in Excel 2002. I dont remember Excel 97 so cant say for it.

15. [...] Excel pivot tutorial — wer es einmal begriffen hat, benutzt Pivot Tabellen ständig [...]

16. payal says:

I have two data point per condition, is it possible to display both the data points either bewlo one another or next to each other in a pivot table. If so, how would i do it.
    Since right now I can just display average, count or sum but not the actual raw data points.

Also can we have error bar in the pivot chart for a bar graph?
    thanks for the help

17. baidi says:

mantataf excelnya…………….. top markotop

18. [...] can make a pivot report from the data and then group dates in that to find totals by [...]

19. michaelG says:

My question is:

I have a body of data that I have placed in a pivot table.. I understand how to manipulate it to shpow me eithert the min, sum, average etccc of the data
    however I dont know how I can have the pivot table express 2 different options like the min and the average??

in the corresponding chart i would like to see the min amount in each period however I would like for the graph to also show me the average in each period

for example the min would be displayed as a bar chart and the avg would be a line running through,

can anyone help me with this??

@MichaelG: Just add the value field again to the “value field area” of pivot table. Now set value field settings to change the summary type to “average” for first value and “min” for second value. That is all.

21. Hemant says:

i want to learn excel, best and also focus on audit and accounts point of view so pls suggest me what should i do?
    is there any simple but strong book or any other on line site for it.

• Rennie says:

Hi Hemant,

I am a qualified accountant with excel skills wanting to help fellow accountants.

The area you should focus on are:
      1. Pricing
      2. Profit and Loss, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow
      3. Variance analysis

If you have specific questions I am happy to answer them.

Thanks,
      Rennie

@Hemant: Try one of these books Excel Accounting books

PS: I have not read any of them

23. Shefeeque K A says:

Its a great skill to present these complicated thing in such an easy way.
    I tried a lots of Ebooks from online non of them give me currect use of pivot table but ur presentation helped me a lot. Good Job.

Thanks a lot.

24. rajesh says:

how to create pivot table,macros, vlookups with examples please send

25. Glen Feechan says:

In reply to Rajesh:

I recently posted the following post that has links to video tutorials on pivot tables, vlookups amd macros:

Top 5 Tips to make Excel Spreadsheets work for you

I hope they’re helpful.

26. 6tel says:

Excellent information! My congratulations on this post. However, I was wondering how to edit a pivot table, because I’m having troubles on a pivot table I created four days ago… My pivot table is doing just fine (it’s a list of people to an event I’m organizing), but I’d like to add the information of a column I forgot to include days ago.

This pivot table has the people who’s most likely to come in a row category named “Yes”, and the ones that are most likely not coming on a row category named “No”. The pivot table shows the results of these two categories (final add of “yes” and “no”, both separately and altogether), and the names of each people on the “yes” and “no” category, but I’d like to add their e-mail information just beside the name of the person who’s coming and not coming without messing up the final total of the “yes” and “no” adding…

I tried editing all the conventional way (dragging and dropping the “e-mail” tag on the pivot table I once did), but it says I can’t overwrite (?) a pivot table with another pivot table (when I say “overwrite” I mean some verb that sounds like it but I’m not sure… My Excel software launches these alerts in spanish, since english is not my native language). I also tried dragging the “e-mail” tag to other parts of the pivot table but final result is not the one I’m looking for. Can anyone please help me? Thanks in advance.

27. John says:

Hi 6tel,

Add the email column to the source table, this way…

Name Coming email
    John Yes John@gmail.com
    Ana Yes Ana@gmail.com
    Will Yes Will@gmail.com
    Albert No Albert@gmail.com
    Susan Yes Susan@gmail.com

And then include the email column in the Pivot Table (in the Row Labels area)

You will have a summary report like this one…

Row Labels Count of Name
    Albert@mm.com 1
    Ana@mm.com 1
    John@mm.com 1
    Susan@mm.com 1
    Will@mm.com 1
    Grand Total 5

Give a look at this screen I captured for you…

Let me know if this helped you?

28. 6tel says:

Wonderful, John. ¡Muchas gracias!

29. John says:

Very nice tutorial. Your article along with a video I saw on YouTube [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVa7PIDfi5A ] has now made me a champion of pivot tables!

30. Top10Lists says:

This is a great tutorial with nice graphic to visualize the whole process. I would like to complement this post by pointing you to some great videos that teach you Excel pivot tables: http://www.squidoo.com/excel-pivot-tables

Hope this helps!

31. Anita says:

Great tutorial…. Very precise & easy to understand. Thank you Chandoo….

32. Jeremy says:

Excellent tutorial. I supplemented this to the video @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVa7PIDfi5A .. learned PivotTables in less than 30 mins after struggling for over a week!

33. SHRI says:

I want to prepare a pivot table from data in an excel spreadsheet.
    The data table lists activities in Col. A and dates for each of the activities in 2-set columns for each project across the sheet.
    I want to be able to make a pivot table which will enable me to list activities and projects corresponding to each date.
    How can I do this? Will you be able to show me how to if I send you the spreadsheet by email?

34. GVK says:

Chandu sir,

You have very clearly explanined the pivot tables concept. And, it is very easy learn.I got the confident with one example that you have given, that I can do big things with data pilots. Thank you sir.

35. [...] have used pivot tables, SUMPRODUCT, SUMIFS, INDEX+MATCH, VLOOKUP formulas to process the [...]

36. rediet says:

37. Shalini says:

Hi, I am trying to use Pivot and i need the count of a field status (which has options sich as Filled, Offered, Will Hire, Will not Hire, On Hold Positions), now i need a count of these Status under different departments however I don’t want to include the “Will Not Hire” and “On Hold” numbers in the total, can that be done.

• Chandoo says:

@Shalini.. Set up the pivot table with departments in row label area and status in column area, and dropping names in value field to show counts.
      Now, just filter-out the status codes you do not want by applying filters on column labels.

38. Jack Wilsons says:

Here is a nice explanation of a pivot table. You might take a look too.

39. [...] all know that Pivot Tables help us analyze and report massive amount of data in little time. Excel has several useful pivot [...]

40. Mohamed Mahfouz says:

Thank you for your help very nice site

41. Dave Zachritz says:

Thanks for making such a great site with lots of neat tricks. I’m sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn’t find it.

I’ve got a speadsheet that has 5 columns of activity-type codes as text data. Column A will always have data, B will usually have data, C sometimes, D rarely and E almost never. Any of the fields can have one of about 15 different activity-type codes in it.

Each time I add a column to the column labels the counts get more and more complicated because it seems to want to add in all of the possibilities of blank cells as well.

It doesn’t matter which column my activities come from, I just want a count of each activity type from the range Column A – Column E.

It seems like this should be doable and simple, but I’m stumped.

42. Jatin says:

Hii 2 all,

an anyone tell me ho eto use pivot table to show two data fieled (with their individual sum) & pivot also show their differences.

Regards

Jatin

43. Hui... says:

@Dave Zachritz
    You can use Countif
    eg:
    =COUNTIF(A:E,”Cat”) will count how many times Cat is in Column A to E
    =COUNTIF(A:E,F5) will count how many times the value in F5 is in Column A to E

44. Dave Zachritz says:

Thanks, Hui.

That’s a good solution, but I need this in a Pivot table. How can I use Countif in that scenario?

45. Hui... says:

@Dave
    Add another field to the source of the data and put an IF formula to set a value to 1 when your conditions are met
    Then count that field in the PT

46. Andie Nguyen says:

Just love your tutorials! Everything is very easy to understand and follow, well structured and visualized.

Thank you!

47. Sandeep says:

Hey all the tips are too helpful and awesome. Keep the good work for us so that we will not find any problem. :)

48. Courtney says:

Hi!
    This post is great. Is there any way to do a pivot table with lots of text? I have a large excel file of comments from a survey that I would like to sort out. Can excel give me trending information or somehow help me sort the comments?

Thanks!

49. Hemlatha M says:

i have to add two colum labels and also grand total . how to create in pivot tables, pls send any example to my mail id varma.hema25@gmail.com

50. [...] is beyond the scope for this post.  However, you can find a good tutorial on Pivot Tables here or here. Figure 2 – vLookup for Zip [...]

51. Nusrat zahan says:

i want to be a expert in excel but how i can be good in excel? can you please help me out? with excel how many operations or work i can do? please tell me.

52. AJ Labate says:

Excellent tutorial. Was able to learn pivot tables in less than 30 minutes. Greatly appreciate this.

53. k Shankar says:

1) In excel 2007 I am not able to display field adjacent coloumn in pivot table.

Ex. Product and description to be displayed to gether as on line then display as qty.
    This able to do in excel 2003 but not in 2007.

2) Not able to convert xls file to dbf direct saving method in excel 2007.

Please help

regards
    shankar

54. mohamed says:

how to use pivot table & their uses

55. Manohar says:

I have data written to excel through Java code into the columns say for eg as the shown above i.e. “Salesman, Region, Product, Revenues..etc”. Is there any means to create the pivot table and pivot chart dynamically through code ? such tat any time i run the java code stores new data to excel sheet and generates the pivot table n pivot chart for that automatically.
    Further, once the data is written on to excel, can we refresh the pivot table n chart automatically through code ? if yes please suggest OR if there is any means to refresh automatically in excel which updates the pivot table n chart accordingly.

Thanks,
    Manohar

56. @mit says:

thanks for gide line. thanks ……………………………………………………………………………

57. TJC says:

Thanks Chandoo! This helped me prep for an interview I have tomorrow. Keep up the good work!

58. supriya kannan says:

hello, I have a data which includes students name, date of joining (year,month and date), fees paid and invoice number. i want to prepare a pivot table which shows me the details like the total number of students joined in each month of every year. Im not able to get it. Can you please help me out. y ID supi.roses@gmail.com

59. Shekhar adiwal says:

hiii cahndoo i really appreciated u for give the excellent knowledge of excel it will help lots of people like me as i learn from your knowledge i feel very happy thanks for gide line. thanks

60. Jean-pierre Kabuiku says:

Hello, Jack Wilsons,

I liked your April 2, 2011 ZK documentation. God bless you.

61. Brendan says:

Thanks for the info.
    I love the catchphrase on the logo.

62. Brendan says:

Also, the data provided is great. I am taking the expert exam soon, and need something to experiment with. Thanks!

63. Gina says:

Hi does anyone know how to drill down on a pivot table and instead of the data generating on a new tab, I want the data to be in the same tab as my pivot. e.g. Cell B40.

I have a second pivot table in that tab, and when i double click it, i want the drilldown data to be placed immediately after the dilldown data from the first pivot.

Is there a way of doing this? Your help is much appreciated!

64. [...] links that might help Excel Pivot Tables Tutorial : What is a Pivot Table and How to Make one | Chandoo.org – Learn Micros… Excel Blog – Using PowerPivot with Excel 2010 my 2 cents :-) [...]

65. Art says:

Hi,
    I am trying to learn pivot table making adn I came across this website. I followed your instructions. I have 3 columns with student scores in 3 respective tests. I am making a pivot table and pivot chart in EXCEL 2010. Student number may change for each test. However, if I update my existing data columns to include 10 more students, the pivot table and chart do not update the additional values despite clicking ‘refresh’ many times. The data defines still is what was originally set up. Could you tell me what I am missing out here?
    Thanks much
    Art

• Hui... says:

@Art
      Unfortunately Pivot Tables do not natively expand as you add data.
      And Microsoft, I think this is a shortcoming in the Pivot Table model

You have 2 options:
      1. Select the Pivot Table
      goto the Pivot Table Tools, Option Tab
      Select Change Data Source
      Update the range manually

2. Use a Named Formula to define the Data Source
      Instead of using a Range as the source for the data use a Named Formula like:
      =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,,,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A),COUNTA(Sheet1!$!:$1))
      Then as you add data
      Right Click on the Pivot Table, Refresh

66. Life Line says:

how to use pivot table & their uses.

67. Chomba Chibwe says:

Hai Am new in the use of Pivot tables but am enjoying. How can i have repeated colum labels but with different functions e.g count and sum.

see:

A           B            C            D
    withdrawal Deposit Withdrawal Deposit
    Count        Count     Sum         Sum

68. prasad says:

Great
    An excellent excel learning…..

prasad

69. [...] least 5 cups of coffee, 2 hours of thinking, several hours of SQL, VBA, Pivot & SUMIFS, an hour of formatting & conditional formatting and may be 10 minutes on [...]

70. ko says:

@Hui,
    but when i tried keying the below function
    =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,,,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A),COUNTA(Sheet1!$!:$1)) it shows:
    data source reference is not valid. why is this so?

• Hui... says:

@Ko
      Looking at your pasted formula you have
      =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,,,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A),COUNTA(Sheet1!$!:$1))

It is either the last Counta which is: COUNTA(Sheet1!$!:$1)
      Should be : COUNTA(Sheet1!$1:$1)

or Sheet1 is the wrong name

71. Rt says:

Hello sir, i want to make the pivot chart in ex.2010
    so pls give me the link from where i can understand how to make this char…i have no any knowledge about this…….

72. [...] 2002): Office 2010 Class #36: Excel PivotTables Pivot Tables 15 examples (Data Analysis) – YouTube Excel Pivot Tables Tutorial : What is a Pivot Table and How to Make one | Chandoo.org – Learn Micros… Excel Pivot Table — Dynamic Data [...]

73. lazyvba says:

Hello,

Thanks for this great site Chandoo.
    Just to add a (still) missing feature in Excel pivot tables: count of unique elements.

I did code some vba to paste to the pivot tables calculates the unique count.

Hoping it can help users who want to get unique count quickly, or people who wants to get interested in vba coding for pivots ( lot of fun and possibilities)

have a great day.

Lazyvba

74. [...] Excel Pivot Tables Tutorial : What is a Pivot Table and How to Make …Jeremy Barn Hizer is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with Jeremy Barn Hizer and others you may know. Facebook gives people … Saving Privot Rian … [...]

75. Lisa says:

Thanks,

This post was really helpful!

76. [...] to show average times for products and ones over the agreed date Have you read those? link. link. link. link. [...]

77. [...] Download a keyword report for the last 30 days with the the Segment Top vs Side.2. Create a pivot table with the data from the report and then build the pivot table like this.This will allow you to see [...]

78. [...] and have a more reliable sheet, regarding costs that is. You can have a look at dyanmic tables at Tutorial on dyanmic Tables. But let’s keep going [...]

79. Jiju says:

You are awsme man…:)

80. Arun Garg says:

Very Nice presentation. Thanks for sharing

81. Rohit says:

Excel file name itself contains all letters of April fool…..hahahahh…awesoe chandoo and your microsoft friend…..@

82. irfan says:

hi dear, its very helpful to new user. Any one can learn easely from this example.

83. Mallik says:

Dear Friends,

Anyone can you explain me about

What is the use of Pivot Tabla and when it will uses

84. Poonam Kapoor says:

Pivot tables makes it easy to organize and extract information from a large tables of data without the use of formulas in Excel

85. Sans says:

Nice explanation!

86. paulos says:

87. [...] Excel Pivot Tables Tutorial : What is a Pivot Table and How to Make one [...]

88. Siegfried says:

hello, thanks for this tutorial! I was having problem with my pivot table and it was really helpful! great blog about excel!
    best regards!

89. [...] Hi, Have you seen the ExcelIsFun videos: Office 2010 Class #36: Excel PivotTables Pivot Tables 15 examples (Data Analysis) – YouTube In the description there is a link to where you can get the files. Also maybe try this tutorial on Chandoo.org, which includes a sample workbook: Excel Pivot Tables Tutorial : What is a Pivot Table and How to Make one | Chandoo.org – Learn Micros… [...]

90. Pradeep D says:

Hi,

I am trying to add conditional formatting to a pivot table and am getting an error “Cannot apply a conditional format to a range that has cells outside of a PivotTable data region. Make sure that all the cells are in your selection are inside the PivotTable data region.”. I want to enter the emp# in O1 and based I want to highlight the complete row/record in the pivot table. Data is in the same sheet from $A:$K and pivot table is at N4. Can someone please help me on this?

Thanks and regards,
    Pradeep D

91. THANK YOU! Now I understand pivot tables!

92. www.dbennett2.wordpress.com says:

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this website’s articles everyday along with a cup of coffee.

93. [...] Windows For 2. PErsonally, I would suggest trying a Pivot table and seeing what that gets you. Excel Pivot Tables Tutorial : What is a Pivot Table and How to Make one | Chandoo.org – Learn Micros… You can summarize by Account Expiry time and filter for everyone with more than one position on [...]

94. Nilesh says:

Thank you so much Chandoo. It’s a great site to learn Pivot online for a bigginer. The success of this site is in giving a feeling that pivot is quite simple to work on and use.

Great job. thank you so much. cheers.

95. hardeep says:

thanks…!!! : )

96. Nellster says:

WOW! This really helped me a lot THANKS

97. Muneca says:

Anyone have a good work around to the problem of not being able to use Pivot tables in a shared document. I built a spreadsheet where 5 different locations are entering data but we can’t use pivot unless we un-share the document first which defeats the purpose.

98. chintan trivedi says:

plzzz teach me pivot excell table…

99. David says:

Hi Community, it is the first time I see this level of knowledge shared around Pivot table.
    Unfortunataley, I have not found the way to cover one need I have for a long time.
    Let me explain :
    I have a list of Ticket number, their opened date and their closed date.
    I would like to get a pivot counting number of tickets opened and closed grouped by days for example.
    I can count the number of tickets opened and the number of tickets closed. But I do not know how to have both entries in the same chart.
    Here a sample of my data :
    Case Number Opened Date Closed Date
    7465186 04/01/2010 11/12/2010
    7476194 11/01/2010 11/12/2010
    7477523 11/01/2010 11/12/2010
    7491526 15/01/2010 11/12/2010
    7603990 10/03/2010 15/04/2013
    7603991 10/03/2010 15/04/2013
    7625938 22/03/2010 11/12/2010
    7634930 26/03/2010 11/12/2010
    7672871 21/04/2010 11/12/2010
    7681605 28/04/2010 15/12/2010
    7681607 28/04/2010 15/12/2010
    7681610 28/04/2010 15/12/2010

Any thought ?

100. […] to the Board! Sounds like a good job for a Pivot Table. Here's a good tutorial: Excel Pivot Tables Tutorial : What is a Pivot Table and How to Make one | Chandoo.org – Learn Micros… […]

101. […] 559,208] Excel Dashboards – Information, examples & tutorials [Visitors: 386,066] Excel Pivot Tables Tutorial [Visitors: 487,794] Project Management using Excel – Information, examples & tutorials […]

102. […] Object Model PivotTable Reports 101 Excel Pivot Tables Tutorial – Contextures Excel Pivot Tables Tutorial – Chandoo Referencing Pivot Table Ranges In […]

103. Mollie says:

I like reading through a post that can make people think.
    Also, many thanks for allowing me to comment!

Look into my website; install metal roof – Mollie,

104. Ajay says:

Its Really really Details learning system.
    thanks & keep it up.

105. Kabelo says:

1.Can you directly change the data in a PivoTable? If not, how do you change the data?

2. Which PivotTable feature is used to easily identify the current filters applied to the data?

106. Eric W says:

Are there any examples of pivot tables that don’t use sales data? I’m not a businessman, and sales info just doesn’t resonate with me.

I do a lot of time-series data collection and have to reduce large quantities of data, but I’m not sure how the pivot table can help.

For example, I have a year of weather data on an hour basis, with 8 different parameters. Can a pivot table help me organize this data set? I can’t get my mind around this.

107. William says:

Thank you for your guidance. my reports have a new format and meaning. I love to think with charts and graphs

108. […] Chandoo – Excel Pivot Table Tutorial Chandoo gives a good overview of pivot tables, with helpful tips and links. […]