Archive for January, 2016
It seems spreadsheets & dinosaurs on a collision course. How else can you explain Jon’s XKCD Velociraptor problem solved with Excel and now this. Debby, alert reader of our blog sent me this email yesterday.
I need an algebraic formula to solve this in Excel
I have 5 heads, 5 bodies, 4 arm sets, 4 leg sets and 3 tails. I need to see if I can create 1000 dinosaurs from these, and if that’s too many AND I need the 5 digit groupings to prove it and create them.
basically Xa*Xb*Xc*Xd*Xe=1000 – I’m not supposed to go over 1200. […] And then I want the 5 digit combinations if possible – right now they are trying to do the combinations by hand – would be awesome if we could do it in Excel.
Here is a quick tip to reduce the time you spend on chart formatting – use chart styles & color themes.
Excel offers various pre-defined color schemes and chart styles. Using them is very simple.
- Select your chart
- Go to Chart Design ribbon
- Click on the style or color scheme you want.
- Your chart changes instantly.
Here is an interesting problem to keep you busy.
Transpose the address data in column A into the format indicated in C:G using either VBA, formulas or Power Query. Once done, post your answers in comments section.Continue »
Here is an interesting chart from Economist, ironically titled The weight of the world. Can you tell what is wrong with it?Continue »
In the 51st session of Chandoo.org podcast, let’s discuss most frequently asked questions about VLOOKUP.
What is in this session?
In this podcast,
- What is VLOOKUP?
- What happens when VLOOKUP can’t find the value?
- Should my list be sorted?
- Is VLOOKUP slower than INDEX + MATCH?
- What if my list has multiple matches?
- How to fetch 2nd / 3rd matching item?
- How to fetch all matching items?
- How to fetch items matching multiple conditions?
- How to speed up VLOOKUP?
- Why doesn’t my VLOOKUP work?
- What to do in case of errors?
- Resources for you
A very happy new year to you. May 2016 be your most awesome year yet.
This year too I plan to share tutorials, tips, podcasts & videos to make you awesome. I hope to focus on
- Excel 2016 – exploring new features
- Power BI – What is it, how does it make you awesome.
- Write a sequel to The VLOOKUP Book.
- Launch a new online course on Power BI & New Excel.
- Run 2 more batches of 50 ways to analyze data program in Feb & July 2016.
- Run another dashboard contest on Chandoo.org
- Write about awesome ways to work with data – formulas, charts, tables, pivots etc.
- Talk about many advanced and work specific Excel scenarios in the podcast
But wait, what do you want to learn more…?
While these are my plans, I want to make sure Chandoo.org helps you the best. So please take a minute and answer this one question survey.Continue »
Here is a New year gift to all our readers – free 2016 Excel Calendar & daily planner Template.
This calendar has,
- One page full calendar with notes, in 4 different color schemes
- Daily event planner & tracker
- 1 Mini calendar
- Monthly calendar (prints to 12 pages)
- Works for any year, just change year in Full tab.