31 responses

1. Fezile
    April 9, 2013

Awesome
    How do you deal with more than 1 calendar entry on a specific day?

• SA
      September 10, 2013

That’s weird no one replied. I’d really like to know how to work around this as well.

• MCHAP
      October 22, 2014

Would love to know this, also, if possible.

• MCHAP
        October 22, 2014

Could we just lookup to the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th occurrence of a lookup and have the selection fill multiple cells at once?

2. dz
    April 9, 2013

Calcs:G12 presents the dates better as: =IFERROR(TEXT(MIN(I3:I4),”d,”)&TEXT(MAX(I3:I4),”d mmm”),””)

3. Jordan Goldmeier
    April 10, 2013

Love the aesthetics. Is Segoe UI the best font or what?

• Chandoo
      April 11, 2013

Thank you.. Yes, I too think Segoe UI light is one of the best.

4. indzara
    April 11, 2013

Chandoo,
    This is a very good implementation and use case of interactive calendars. In my templates, so far, I have used dynamic calendars but not interactive ones. One is a Calendar template for customizable printable calendars and the other is a Task Manager template where I used a mini calendar.
    Is there a way to identify the selected cell without the VBA code?
    Thanks,

5. CC
    April 12, 2013

Love this one! This may have already been shown somewhere, but how could I add to this by having the calendar highlight dates that had some event connected with them? So, in the little mini-calendars, if there was some event on May 1, it might have a light yellow background, or be bold. I’d click on the date to see the details of the event, but it would be nice to see at a glance which dates were ‘filled’.
    Thanks for a GREAT site!

CC

• Chandoo
      April 12, 2013

@CC… welcome to Chandoo.org and thanks for your comments.

To fill up dates with events associated with them, I used conditional formatting.

1. Lets call the dates on which events are mapped as lstDates
      2. Now, select the small calendar (say B1:G6), from Home > Conditional formatting > New rule
      3. Set the rule type as “use a formula to determine…”
      4. Type the rule =countif(lstDates,B1)>0
      5. Set up formatting

This will highlight all dates on which there are events in different format. To know more about conditional formatting visit below pages.

6. CC
    April 12, 2013

That worked perfectly, thanks so much!

7. JohnC_UK
    April 12, 2013

Chandoo you really do present some very clever techniques and I’m learning a lot from your site.
    A little bugette/feature in this sample though…
    1. Change the dates for the New York events to 1st / 2nd June in the hidden calcs sheet.
    2. Click the green June 2013 calendar caption.
    June 1st / 2nd are highlit (as the green caption also has the date 1/6/13.)
    There are two ways to avoid this.
    1. Change the range for the calendar named range to two regions of the calendar days. (=calendar!$B$7:$H$11,calendar!$B$14:$H$18)
    2. Make the calendar days unlocked and de-select the option “Select locked cells” when you protect the calendar work sheet.
    I prefer option 1 as it is cleaner and defines exactly which cells you are interested in tracking.
    i know you know this but I just thought I’d point it out for people who read your site. (That’s how I’m learning Excel!!! – by others posting examples based on their own experience.)

8. JohnC_UK
    April 12, 2013

Chandoo
    To clarify my previous post.
    It was not a nit-picking, point scoring post to try and point out a “bug”.
    It’s just that I have 24 years of computer programming experience which makes me instinctively test worste case scenarios. That’s what led me to this observation.
    However, as far as Excel goes I’m nowhere near competent and I do appreciate that you and lots of the posters on your site make my Excel skills look like a beginner!!!
    My advice is to always try and think of extreme examples and see if your spreadsheet copes with it.

9. Anil J
    April 15, 2013

Chandoo,
    Awesome. But I found a small problem, when I selected 31, the Details block showing the dates as “31-30 May”. Please correct it.

10. Joe
    April 16, 2013

Perfect thank you!

11. Herman
    April 30, 2013

Bravo Chandoo!!! After reading this article and another one (perpetual calendar) from you, I think that it would be great if you could combine both ideas to make an interactive perpetual calendar. Do you think it is possible!?

12. Shirley Poehlman
    August 16, 2013

I have to say that for the past couple of hours i have been hooked by the amazing posts on this site. Keep up the great work.

13. Ranjit
    September 19, 2013

Hi Chandoo

VBA was really good,

14. Somendra Misra
    November 8, 2013

the VBA code is working well on Office 2010, but is not working on Office 2011 for MAC OS X. Any idea?

15. Danilo
    January 13, 2014

When I try save the spreadsheet show this message: “The following features cannot saved in macro-free workbooks.”

16. WimpieO
    February 4, 2014

I am working in excel 2010and would love to download your example file is i can not seem to get steps 6 & 7 figured, any help with this or a more in depth explanation will be greatly appreciated

17. Ceetoo
    February 26, 2014

Hello Chandoo…
    can I get a video for this pls? or a more detailed instructions on what to do. I am new to excel but I have a task to do this.

18. Josh
    April 29, 2014

Any chance something like this could be worked into google’s spreadsheet and calendar programs? I use google spreadsheets for work so that other employees can view and Id love to be able to transfer that info into google calendar so myself and other employees can view past info. Thanks

19. Ronnie Fisher
    August 29, 2014

Can someone assist me in creating one of these interactive calendars for 2015. I need a very comprehensive calender. My calender need to be from January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015. I can have up to 200 events on one day. My event data table is big.

Thank You in advance.

Ronnie

20. Juan
    October 18, 2016

what about if I have multiple events in the same day?

21. Dwayne
    October 26, 2016

As others have said, I need to display multiple events on the sameday. How can I add more than 1 event and have the calendar cover a full 12 months.

Great site by the way. So much to learn

22. Sharif
    December 3, 2016

Thank you for the calendar link. It’s what I have been looking for.
    I’ve followed the link and entered multiple events per calendar day. However, the calendar displays only the one event per calendar date. What I am doing wrong? Appreciate guidance.

Regards,