arrow21 Comments
  1. Christian
    Jun 17 - 1:01 am

Hi Guys,

Here is an issue I hae never found a satisfactory answer to – and relates to the example of the quotation sheet template.

“If I produce a quote template, or a survey template – any area where multiple users enter data over time, how do I have the data entered by all these different users saved to a single data table for later analysis/ manipulation?

So each person comes in to the file, does their quote, and then by some process their data is added to the external data table. The quote is then ready for the next user and the previous users details have been captured and sanctioned.

The clincher is I’m trying to do this without VBA or macros – just for universal simplicity.

Welcome any thoughts.

Christian

2. dan l
    Jun 17 - 5:34 am

Chrstian:

Not to say that it can’t be done, rather: this might be best accomplished via access. It would literally take just a minutes.

3. Christian
    Jun 17 - 7:20 am

Dan,

Only thing is my organisation is very decentralised (geographically). Some of the things I build and deliver go to smaller sites who don’t have Access or if they did would not know how to service it.

It’s always been something in the back of my mind to try and solve.

Previously I do this:

Have a seperate w/sheet where each column represents one instance of the data I wish to capture (i.e. one quote for example) there might be ten cells in each column capturing our ten pieces of data from the quote. so A1:A10.

B1:B10 and so on and so on is referncing the very same cells as A1:A10.

So after each new instance of the quote I simply go and copy A1:A10 the paste value only. Next time I will do this in B1:B10…and so on.

Very basic I know – and effective, but even these simple instructions can be hard to remember for some people not skilled up on the MS Suite. And if they forget to do the copy/ value paste then do another quote, they have lost the previous details forever.

Could write a macro to do this – but as mentioned, like to do things the simple way first.

CF

4. dan l
    Jun 17 - 1:35 pm

Alright, it’s not great, but it might work:

Sheet1 will have your data organized, keyed on a generic record number. So

Salesman Customer Date Item 1 Quoted Item 2 Quoted Item 3 Quoted Amount
    Quote 1
    Quote 2
    Quote 3
    Quote 4
    Quote 5

People could fill in that sheet with the appropriate data. People could then go to the template, using a data validation drop down, select “quote 2″ and the fields on the template populate appropriately using vlookups. If I’m articulating this poorly, drop me an email and I’ll see if I can give you a little proof of concept.

It’s not pretty (pretty limited, maybe); the excel pro’s have a better idea. I am merely a marginally skilled user of excel duct tape.

5. Christian
    Jun 18 - 1:55 am

I see – in effect you are reversing the process.

Thanks for that different approach Dan.

I’d say you are somewhat like myself with your use of Excel and as I mentioned this could be done using macros but it’s always satisfying to solve thing simply.

I’m really surprised people aren’t approaching the personal finance challenge from along these lines…remember there are no macros allowed there either.

If I had a personal finance organiser/ tracker, I would like some nice looking template sheet to enter my spending/ saving details, and an easy process to have this data stored in the back end for analysis etc…… wonder what everyones up to? can’t wait to see what they come up with.

Time allowing I would definitely have had a crack myself..

CF

6. Chandoo
    Jun 19 - 1:40 am

@Christian & Dan.. you gave me a good idea to write the next post.

That is how to use user-forms to automate something like this and make invoice . quotation creation easy.

Watch out the blog for a post on this in next week or two.

7. dan l
    Jun 21 - 5:26 pm

Chandoo,

Aren’t user forms VBA driven? Actually, come to think of it, I think they are, but I’m pretty sure it’s ‘good vba’ and the typical limitations that probably Christian and myself want to avoid might not apply.

8. Chandoo
    Jun 21 - 5:29 pm

@Dan… well I am talking about the forms that excel builds for us (you can use them with lists / tables)

9. Christian
    Jun 22 - 3:20 am

Will be looking forward to this one.

As mentioned though, it will be interesting to see how others have “captured” data from their personal finance trackers for analystical use in their dashboards……hhmmm…

And then to see what Chandoo can offer too.

10. […] Chandoo found himself in that spot exactly, and had to create his own quotation templates. He also decided to share these with us. […]

11. Herman
    Feb 03 - 9:53 am

hi Chandoo,

As usual, thank you for sharing this simple, neat Excel invoice template.

I was searching for an invoicing app for a friend of mine, and just when i was about to sign up for an online invoice generating websites, i suddenly rememberd abt ur website and decided to check it at your site first.

and i was not disasspointed, as u already had an invoice template made available.

so, thank you.. you are doing a great job for all of us here (and that too for free)

Herman

12. Pauline
    Jun 15 - 4:14 pm

Thanks Chandoo for making my life easier.
    I have been trying to design a quotation form for some weeks. The task looked impossible. I did not like the templates that I was finding on the web. This afternoon I decided to try again and I ran into your website.

Thanks again. I am definately visiting again for the lessons in Excel

13. shashi
    Sep 28 - 1:11 pm

Chandoo,

Fantastic website and service being offered to all small business owners .. Thanks

14. Rajendra
    May 03 - 6:08 am

hi

15. vidya
    Jul 11 - 9:37 am

i didnt know wat 2 do, wen ma boss told to prepare new quotation for our company… thank heavens, tat u hav created tis website, nd ta 2 for free…

16. Lola
    Jul 12 - 8:55 pm

Thank you.

17. […] using Excel [ 196,489 ] Gantt Chart Template [ 209,660 ] Chandoo.org Forums Main Page [ 101,907 ] Excel Quotation Template [ 158,482 ] How to delete blank rows in Excel? [ 176,659 ] Excel School page [ 154,175 […]

18. Charlie
    May 14 - 11:08 am

Dear Chandoo,
    Thanks for this. It was helpful to me

19. arun
    Aug 12 - 12:58 pm

project 75k, two persons salary for three months, how to prepare the quotation in exl

• Hui...
      Aug 12 - 2:29 pm

@Arun
      You might want to try and explain what your trying to achieve a bit better as this explanation is a bit vague.

20. […] Excel Quotation Template […]