Visualize state to state migration data and you could win an iPad or Galaxy Tab [Datavis Contest 2014]
Time for another dashboard contest. Sit straight, set aside your appointments and get number-crunching.
Analyze state to state migration data between 2012 & 2010 and present your results in a dashboard (or charts) and you could walk away with glory, fame & and an iPad.
If all of this sounds tempting, read on.
- Download dataset for the contest [mirror]
- Analyze the data and create a dashboard or set of charts (see rules below)
- Submit your workbook by 20th of April (Sunday), 2014.
- If readers at chandoo.org and our panel of judges love your work, you get one of the cool prizes.
About this data
Every year, US Census organization surveys a sample of residents (age 1 or more) and asks them whether they lived in same residence 1 year ago. If someone moved, they collect details of previous residence (state). This data is published on State to State migration page on census website.
I downloaded the migration data for last 3 published years (2012, 2011 and 2010) and cleaned it up for this contest.
Goals for Analysis
- Help us understand state to state migration flows & trends.
- Highlight interesting facts & trends
How to send your entries
Once you are ready to send your entry,
Email your entries:
- Check the rules (below) and make sure you have followed all of them.
- Email your workbooks to chandoo.d @ gmail.com with subject “Datavis contest 2014“
- Please include your name & best email address(es) so that we can reach you if there is any clarification needed.
- Please mention the version of Excel used.
- Please send in your entries before end of 20th April (Sunday), 2014.
Send them to our Facebook fan page:
- Join Chandoo.org fan page
- Post your entry as a message
- Attach your workbook. Mention your name, email and Excel version used.
- You can make a dashboard or 1 page report
- You can make several individual charts (or tables) too as long as they all fit in to one window.
- You can make interactive or static charts
- You can also use VBA to add interaction to the charts.
- You cannot use add-ins for creation of the output.
- You can add data to this dataset (for example, macroeconomic data, weather conditions, demographic data etc. from public sources like govt. databases or websites)
- You can use Excel 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 or Office 365. Please note that this contest requires use of Excel.
- You can submit more than one entry. But only one entry per individual is considered when awarding prizes.
- Your files must be unlocked & any macros you use must have enough comments so that others can learn.
The winner of this contest will receive an iPad Air 16 GB (wi-fi model, valued at $499).
For the 2nd best entry, you get an iPad Mini 16 GB (retina, wi-fi model, valued at $399)
and for 3rd best entry, you get a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (wi-fi model, $199).
So there you go. 3 gorgeous gadgets up for grabs.
Note: Since prizes are delivered thru Amazon.com, in case they cannot ship the item to your location, you will be offered $ amount.
Disclosure: I am using affiliate links to mention the gadgets. That means if you click on them and buy, Amazon pays me a few $s.
How do we pick the winners?
Once all the entries are received, then we will open voting.
- All entries will be published on Chandoo.org and you can vote for winner.
- A panel of judges (names to be revealed later) will also vote. Judges votes carry higher weight.
- The entries with highest votes will be winners.
PS: If we get a lot of entries, we may eliminate a few during voting stage.
So what are you waiting for?
Need some inspiration?
Check out past contest result pages to get some inspiration.
- Salary Survey Dashboards – 66 entries
- Sales Dashboard Contest – 32 entries
- Personal Expense Trackers – 7 entries
- Sales Analysis Chart – 78 entries
Do you want to be awesome in Excel?
Here is a smart way to become awesome in Excel. Just signup for my Excel newsletter. Every week you will receive an Excel tip, tutorial, template or example delivered to your inbox. What more, as a joining bonus, I am giving away a 25 page eBook containing 95 Excel tips & tricks. Please sign-up below:
Your email address is safe with us. Our policies
More awesome tips for you:
Leave a Reply
|Hui’s Calendar Tool (as Borrowed from Chandoo)||Excel for iPad – Demo & Introduction [video]|