Visualize state to state migration data and you could win an iPad or Galaxy Tab [Datavis Contest 2014]
Time for another dashboard contest. Sit straight, set aside your appointments and get number-crunching.
Analyze state to state migration data between 2012 & 2010 and present your results in a dashboard (or charts) and you could walk away with glory, fame & and an iPad.
If all of this sounds tempting, read on.
- Download dataset for the contest [mirror]
- Analyze the data and create a dashboard or set of charts (see rules below)
- Submit your workbook by 20th of April (Sunday), 2014.
- If readers at chandoo.org and our panel of judges love your work, you get one of the cool prizes.
About this data
Every year, US Census organization surveys a sample of residents (age 1 or more) and asks them whether they lived in same residence 1 year ago. If someone moved, they collect details of previous residence (state). This data is published on State to State migration page on census website.
I downloaded the migration data for last 3 published years (2012, 2011 and 2010) and cleaned it up for this contest.
Goals for Analysis
- Help us understand state to state migration flows & trends.
- Highlight interesting facts & trends
How to send your entries
Once you are ready to send your entry,
Email your entries:
- Check the rules (below) and make sure you have followed all of them.
- Email your workbooks to chandoo.d @ gmail.com with subject “Datavis contest 2014“
- Please include your name & best email address(es) so that we can reach you if there is any clarification needed.
- Please mention the version of Excel used.
- Please send in your entries before end of 20th April (Sunday), 2014.
Send them to our Facebook fan page:
- Join Chandoo.org fan page
- Post your entry as a message
- Attach your workbook. Mention your name, email and Excel version used.
- You can make a dashboard or 1 page report
- You can make several individual charts (or tables) too as long as they all fit in to one window.
- You can make interactive or static charts
- You can also use VBA to add interaction to the charts.
- You cannot use add-ins for creation of the output.
- You can add data to this dataset (for example, macroeconomic data, weather conditions, demographic data etc. from public sources like govt. databases or websites)
- You can use Excel 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 or Office 365. Please note that this contest requires use of Excel.
- You can submit more than one entry. But only one entry per individual is considered when awarding prizes.
- Your files must be unlocked & any macros you use must have enough comments so that others can learn.
The winner of this contest will receive an iPad Air 16 GB (wi-fi model, valued at $499).
For the 2nd best entry, you get an iPad Mini 16 GB (retina, wi-fi model, valued at $399)
and for 3rd best entry, you get a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (wi-fi model, $199).
So there you go. 3 gorgeous gadgets up for grabs.
Note: Since prizes are delivered thru Amazon.com, in case they cannot ship the item to your location, you will be offered $ amount.
Disclosure: I am using affiliate links to mention the gadgets. That means if you click on them and buy, Amazon pays me a few $s.
How do we pick the winners?
Once all the entries are received, then we will open voting.
- All entries will be published on Chandoo.org and you can vote for winner.
- A panel of judges (names to be revealed later) will also vote. Judges votes carry higher weight.
- The entries with highest votes will be winners.
PS: If we get a lot of entries, we may eliminate a few during voting stage.
So what are you waiting for?
Need some inspiration?
Check out past contest result pages to get some inspiration.
- Salary Survey Dashboards – 66 entries
- Sales Dashboard Contest – 32 entries
- Personal Expense Trackers – 7 entries
- Sales Analysis Chart – 78 entries
My name is Chandoo. Thanks for dropping by. My mission is to make you awesome in Excel & your work. I live in Wellington, New Zealand. When I am not F9ing my formulas, I cycle, cook or play lego with my kids. Know more about me.
Thank you and see you around.
Leave a Reply
|« Hui’s Calendar Tool (as Borrowed from Chandoo)||Excel for iPad – Demo & Introduction [video] »|