I have a fun Excel lookup challenge for you. You have data as shown below and want to find the last non blank value for a given account number. For example, for acct number 2015, the answer would be Freedom.
How would you solve this?
Refer to this workbook for 3 possible answers. Just move the white box away to see the formulas.
If you have a different solution, post it in the comments section.
- Assume your data is in range A4:G13 with A4:A13 having the Account number and other columns containing some details.
- The lookup value can be hardcoded or assumed be to in cell K3.
- Click here for sample data file. This file also has some hints and 3 possible solutions.
- You can use any Excel formula or Power Query or VBA based solution.
- Post your answers in comments.
Here is a video explaining 3 possible solutions to this problem. Watch it below or on my YouTube channel.
If you want more Excel challenges & homework problems, click here.
PS: Thanks Barbara for emailing me this question.