This is part 2 of 6 on Profit & Loss Reporting using Excel, written by Yogesh
Data sheet structure for Preparing P&L using Pivot Tables
Preparing Pivot Table P&L using Data sheet
Adding Calculated Fields to Pivot Table P&L
Exploring Pivot Table P&L Reports
Quarterly and Half yearly Profit Loss Reports in Excel
Budget V/s Actual Profit Loss Report using Pivot Tables
In this post we will learn how to setup the basic pivot table from that data.
First step is to create Pivot Table. Here is a video tutorial on making pivot tables.
My favorite for this type of Pivot it Classic Pivot Table layout. This is standard layout available in Excel 2003. You can change pivot table layout using following steps,
- Right click within PivotTable created in Excel 2007
- Click on PivotTable Options
- Select Display Tab
- Click Classic PivotTable layout (enables dragging of fields in the grid)
Once you have got classic pivot layout, start adding data fields to it. Once you start dropping data field in pivot table it will start showing as different columns. However we need them in the rows rather than in columns. Check out screen cast on changing data from column labels to row labels
Data added by you will keep showing “Sum of” in addition to data field name. Like when you add sales field it will show as “Sum of Sales”.
You can change the “sum of x” to “x” by,
- Select all the row labels
- Press Ctrl+H – This will show Replace Dialogbox
- Type “Sum of” in find box without quotes
- Click on Replace all
PS: You cannot change “Sum of Sales” to “Sales”, you have to leave one space before, so we are changing it to ” Sales”.
Now we have a report which has major data available for preparing P&L Report. We need to add some calculated fields to it make it complete P&L report. We will do that in next post.
Download the Profit & Loss Pivot Table Excel File
In the next part of this series, learn how to add calculated fields to complete this P&L report.
Added by PHD:
- Please share your feedback and ideas for this series using comments. Yogesh and I will reply to your questions. Also, say thanks if you like the idea and want to learn more.
- Sign-up for PHD E-mail newsletter because you will get updates as new posts are live.