Merge Cells without Losing Data [Quick Tip]
Many of us face this problem.
We have some data in a few cells. Either for alignment or structure, we would like to merge the cell contents in to one big cell. But Excel wont help as it cannot merge values from all cells.
Can you tell me how to merge rows without losing the data in the format given below.
row 1: abcd
row 2: xyz
required format :
row 1: abcd xyz
It would save a great amount of my time if i could get a solution to this !
That got me thinking, there should be a way to merge cells without losing data?!?
Of course there is. You can use simple features in Excel to do this with ease.
- Select all the cells where your data is. (All the cells need to be in one area in one column).
- Adjust the column width so that you can fit all contents in one cell. (basically make it wide enough)
- Select Home Ribbon > Fill > Justify
- Merge cells now.
That is all. The text from selected cells will be magically re-arranged in top-most cell. If you see the text spreading 2 rows, just make the column wider and repeat the process.
See this simple animation aside to understand how it works.
But wait, this technique has some limitations,
- It doesnt work if the selected cells have numbers or formulas
- It only works for cells in a single column, if the cells are spread across several columns, justify will not work.
- It requires a lot of steps.
Shouldn’t there be a better way to merge cells without losing data?!?
Of course there is, You can write a simple macro to do this job for you.
For eg. here is the JoinAndMerge() macro I have written that works for pretty much all types of data.
Just copy this code in to a new module or add it your personal macros workbook. And you can use it to quickly merge cells without loosing data. Simple.
The code is easy to figure out if you know basic VBA. So I will not go in to detail.
What to do with all the saved time?
Simple, go read a quick tip.
PS: It is likely that you will save even more time by reading the quick tips, then what?
PPS: Simple, go play.
Leave a Reply
|Make a Christmas Card, and you can Win a $50 Gift Card||Make Dynamic Dashboards using Pivot Tables & Slicers [Video & Download]|