Quickly combine text in multiple cells using this trick! [Formulas]

Posted on January 13th, 2014 in Excel Howtos - 69 comments

Ever wondered how to go from a bunch of cells with text to one big combined text? Like this:

Combine text values from multiple cells to single value using CONCATENATE & TRANSPOSE Functions - Excel trick

Well, there is a simple trick, shared by Grant with us in the What is the coolest Excel trick you learned in 2013? post.

Quick and easy way to combine bunch of text values

1. Let say the cells you want to combine are in B2:B19.
  2. In a blank cell, where you want to concatenate all the values type
  3. =CONCATENATE(TRANSPOSE(B2:B19))
  4. Don’t press enter yet.
  5. Select the TRANSPOSE(B2:B19) portion and press F9. (related: debugging formulas using F9 key)
  6. This replaces the TRANSPOSE(B2:B19) with its result
  7. Now remove curly brackets { and }
  8. Enter
  9. Done!

See this demo to understand.

Combine text values using CONCATENATE, TRANSPOSE and F9 key - demo

Bonus tricks

1. If you cannot use F9 for any reason, use CTRL+=
  2. If you want to add a delimiter (like space or comma) after each item in the text, you can use TRANSPOSE(B2:B19 & ” “) or  TRANSPOSE(B2:B19 & “,”)
  3. If the range you want to concatenate is across columns (Say A1:K1), then you can skip the TRANSPOSE formula and write =CONCATENATE(A1:k1), Select A1:K1 and press F9, remove {}s.

Keep in mind

Since F9 replaces formulas with values, if your original data changes, then you must re-write the CONCATENATE(TRANSPOSE(…)) again.

If you would rather keep the formulas alive, then use CONCAT() UDF. It takes a range and a delimiter and spits out combined text with ease.

More on dealing with text using Excel

Here are a few more tips on working with text values in Excel.

Thanks Grant for sharing this trick with all of us. It is a time saver for sure.

If you like this tip, say thanks to Grant. Also, in the comments, tell us how you combine text values and what other tricks you use.

Tags: , , , , , ,

69 Responses to “Quickly combine text in multiple cells using this trick! [Formulas]”

1. Rahim says:

Great !
    Awesome :) Thanks for sharing

2. Finnur says:

Fantastic! This will save me a huge head ache in the future. Thank you.

3. Michal says:

In my excel version (2010, polish), is giving “\” instead of commas….

• christoph says:

My excel gives me only “.” not “;”.
      (excel 2010 german)

• Hui... says:

The use of ; and , are used predominantly in English only
      You will need to customise to suit your language

To find out what your locale is

In a cell Type =A1:E1
      Don’t press Enter but Press F9
      Excel will display something like ={1,1,1,1,1}
      Take a note of the separator character which is , in English

In a cell Type =A1:A5
      Don’t press Enter but Press F9
      Excel will display something like ={1;1;1;1;1}
      Take a note of the separator character which is ; in English

Note in above the ,’s seperate Columns and the ;’s separate Rows

Use whatever Excel shows you in your language

• Thijs says:

Strangest Excel behaviour:
      In Excel 2003 and 2010, combining text from cells in a row works perfectly with the trick described by Chandoo. When combining text from cells in a column, skip the whole “transpose” thing. Just type =CONCATENATE(A1:K1), press F9 and remove the {} brackets, that’s it.

Seems to be just the other way around in Excel 2013…

• Greg G says:

That doesn’t quite work because just using CONCATENATE results in
        =CONCATENATE({“oh”;”combining”;”a”;”bunch”;”of”;”texts”;”into”;”one”;”big”;”texts”;”is”;”so”;”painful”;”well”;”not”;”any”;”more”})

The ;’s will not work.. using TRANSPOSE with CONCATENATE makes them ,’s instead, which does work. (See Hui’s post regarding ,’s and ;’s as separators (,’s for columns, ;’s for rows)

4. Uday Kumar Chintada says:

Wonderful technique.. Welldone !

5. JLeno says:

Nice trick! I always use the following trick though:
    1. In C2, enter =C1 & B2
    2. Copy down to C19 (C19 now has the info you want)
    3. Copy C19 and paste as values and delete the rest

I think I still prefer this, since you have more flexibility when, for instance, the words don’t have end with a space character. In that case you can just type =C1 & B2 & ” “

6. mike says:

This is great!
    For some reason it is vital to leave out the last round bracket in the TRANSPOSE function before presing F9 button, otherwise it won’t work.

7. MF says:

Thanks for sharing that.
    I have been using a similar approach for doing the same thing.
    Let’s see which one is of more convenient to you.
    Using the example the above example:
    1) In a blank cell, Input =B2:B19 (do not press enter)
    2) Press F9
    3) Remove the “=”, “{“, “}” manually
    4) Press Ctrl H (Find and Replace)
    5) Find ” and replace with nothing
    6) Find ; and replace with your delimiter
    7) Enter
    8) Done

8. Abhilash VK says:

Great Tip Grant. Thanks for sharing Chandoo… I will publish it in my blog http://www.exceltoxl.com too.

9. Lori says:

I’d just copy the data to the formula bar using the office clipboard…
    1. click arrow in bottom right corner of clipboard section of ribbon.
    2. select B2:B19 and choose Copy
    3. select new cell and click the formula bar
    4. click the icon with the copied data from the clipboard
    5. Choose Replace… Find: [Ctrl+j] Replace [ ] OK.
    (The last step replaces line breaks with spaces or required delimiter.)

10. Joyce says:

Awesome Tricks.

11. Tom says:

This does not work in Excel 2010 as described in the posting or the responses.

12. @Chandoo This is a great tip! I didn’t know this. Thx.
    @JLeno I use your method as well when I need to add a comma or space.

13. Anup says:

Cool indeed Grant!.

14. Hui... says:

I like this
    Thanx Chandoo

15. Rudra Sharma says:

Thanks Chandoo. Very nice tip. How did you discover this?

16. LeonK says:

This is an excellent article – Thank you Chandoo. I often need to do this in my work but have an alternative method for relatively short text concatenations using the JUSTIFY feature from within the EDITING ribbon. It is found by clicking the down arrow to the right of FILL and selecting JUSTIFY, at the end of the presented list.

To use this feature, select all the text plus the column immediately to the right eg: if text was A1:A10, you would be selecting A1:B10. Now select the arrow to the right of the FILL command in the EDITING panel. Choose JUSTIFY. The text has now been concatenated, with spaces but probably into several rows. To place the text into only one cell, either widen the right hand column to the width you believe the text would fill and repeat the process. Alternatively, you could select a larger number of columns and then select JUSTIFY. This would place as much text as it could in the first cell, with the remainder in the cells below.

The JUSTIFY command has the advantage of being fully ‘UNDO’able and can be coded in VBA to create a tool which might insert a new column to the right, justify selected text and then clean up the screen.

17. kasusx says:

great…..
    thanx for sharing

18. Ganesh Karra says:

COPY all the list [B2:B19] in EXCEL
    PASTE it in NOTEPAD
    SELECT all and copy from Notepad
    Paste in Excel Cell {edit}/ [F2] PASTE.

” Try This “

19. jehangir says:

x-cellent

20. Danail says:

Awesome! thank you for sharing! you’ve just saved me bunch of time!

21. Narendra says:

Very nice !
    I love it

22. rajiniakanth says:

beautiful tips, thanks grant & chandoo

23. […] Quickly combine text in multiple cells using this trick! Formulas: Useful Excel wizardry […]

24. […] of creating a long concatenation formula, Chandoo shares a quick trick for combining the values in multiple […]

25. Joyce Swensson says:

Thank you. You just made my week.

26. Brian Canes says:

Please watch short vid http://bit.ly/ConcTran

This uses the original tip but comes up with a formula using cell references. Note that this uses & as well as concatenate so that there is one argument in Concatenate for each cell reference and a separator. But the same method applies by using b,c5 instead of b&c5 but now there will be a separate entry for each ref and for each separator.

Regards
    Brian

27. Ying says:

I love this trick/post very much! Coincidently, I recently run into a similar situation, but with repetitive groups all one column. I need to concatenate every 8 rows into one cell, and there are about 2000 rows, and only one column of text and number. How can I use this trick for every 8 rows? Without entering this formula 2000/8= 250 times? Thank you!

28. Bibi sin says:

Everybody also could try “phonetic” to complete this like “=phonetic(B2:B19)”

29. Uday Kumar Chintada says:

This trick works well if we are selecting the values (to be concatenated) from one particular column (say A1:A30). All the values are present in column A and this is where the transpose function takes it’s eminence. But if we want to do the same thing in a row (say row 1, data from A1:K1), this trick throws an error because the seperator would be ; for traspose function.

We can overcome it by just removing the transpose function and make do with concatenate function only by following the same steps.
    i.e.; =concatenate(A1:K1), now select A1:K1, press F9 and replace curly braces with ( ). There you go.. Enjoy..

30. mbsmarty says:

Great! Thanks buddy :)

31. Selly says:

Thank you so much Grant. This really helped me with my school work

32. Jason says:

That’s one way to do it, I suppose.
    Really, the issue is that the =CONCATENATE function that comes with Excel is pretty useless. For just 3 fields, you can just as easily type =A1&A2&A3 as
    =CONCATENATE(A1, A2, A3)

Years ago, I wrote the below to address this issue.
    The format is =CONCAT(A1:A3)

Function concat(avec As Variant, Optional CHAR2INS As String, Optional trim As Boolean) As String
    ‘========================================================
    ‘ this improves on the =concatenate function
    ‘ Arguments are:
    For j = 1 To numrows
    For i = 1 To numcols
    ‘ skip blanks
    If avec(j, i) = “” Then
    GoTo 99
    End If

‘ don’t put a character after the last item
    counter = counter + 1
    If counter = Total Then
    Temp = Temp & avec(j, i)
    Else
    Temp = Temp & avec(j, i) & CHAR2INS
    End If
    99 Next i
    Next j

‘ this line takes out unprintable characters
    concat = Application.trim(Temp)

If trim = True Then
    concat = Application.trim(Temp)
    Else
    concat = Temp
    End If

End Function

33. Marium says:

This is really helpful :)
    Thank you..!!! ;)

34. Casey E. Palmer says:

Thanks for this! Saved me hours of work!

35. Thiru says:

Thanks so much for letting us know about this trick!! :-)

36. Fred says:

I didn’t know that concatenate has a limit for the number of arguments until I hit that number and was told I have typed in too many arguments in the function. Is there an alternative for this?

• Hui... says:

@Fred
      Instead of =Concatenate(A1, A2 …A100)
      you can use =A1&A2&A3 … &A100

or you can use a UDF like those described at:
      Read the comments as well as there are several great additions to the basic code
      eg: =Concat(A1:A100,”,”) which will concatenate the values from A1 to A100 with a Comma in between each character
      =Concatif(B1:B5,A1:A5,1) which will concatenate the values from A1 to A5 where the corresponding cell in B1:B5 is = 1 etc

37. Carlos says:

Thank you so much!!!

38. Cathy says:

Wow Amazing, very handy.

39. Syed Bilal says:

Great Man,
    Thanks!

BR/Syed Bilal

40. Reina says:

Hi, what if the information in the cells are numbers? I tried using this trick A1&B1 but the numbers can’t be added anymore using AutoSum. In other words, the numbers weren’t considered as numbers by Excel. What do I do?

• Hui... says:

@Reina
      When I use =A1&A2 with 1 in A1 and 2 in A2 I get 12 which is what I should get
      can you explain what / how your not getting the same answer?

• Reina says:

Hi, I finally found the answer. I just had to put =VALUE(A1&B1) so that the information in the cells will still be considered as numbers.

41. Rohit says:

Hi thanks for wonderful examples.

I want to combine text strings from different cell with ,’s as delimiter and ‘and’ before the last text.

Forexmaple a, b, c, and d

Regards
    Rohit

42. Shal says:

Brilliant!!! Thx for sharing!

43. Alusi says:

Awesome Chandoo – You are my Excel Hero. Thanks for sharing

44. Rachael says:

Worked a treat. Many thanks, Rachael

45. J says:

Delimeters do not work, just throws up an error.

46. CL says:

WOW! Excellent trick!!! Thank you!

47. E.L. Cropredy says:

Thank you so much — exactly what I needed

48. Damodar says:

Thanks.. Its worked for me and reduced lot of time :D

49. hello, i’ve seen and using all this examples and methods and are very useful but in my case it doesn’t mach what i need it for i you guys can give me hand here…

i need to create a list of attributes in just one cell separating each other with an “:” using the a2:cv2 just notice that in some of the columns are empty because the filter in that product doesn’t apply.
    for example

a2= black, b2= , c2= small… cv2= cube

so this should look like this at the end. “Black:Small:Cube”

but with formula =concadenate(a2:cv2&”:”)
    = “Black::small::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::cube:”

so i’m looking to do this for each row taking in consideration each column selected to create the right attributes applied for the product and no extra space (knowing that an extra space is taked for my upload system that each “:” is a new attribute ) and also when i do this excel make an auto correct option but not copying the formula and just the result in all the rows and i need to make a copy of the original formula and make it valid per each one on the following 3k rows..

Thanks for your collaboration