In the 4th session of Chandoo.org podcast, lets talk about Pie charts.
Pie charts evoke strong opinions among analysts & managers. Some people love them and can’t have enough of them in reports. Others despise them and go to any lengths to avoid them. And that is why we are going to talk about them in this session.
Before we proceed in to the session, let me remind you:
Get new episodes automatically!
That is right. Chandoo.org uses latest & most magical software. That means, whenever I push the publish button, an army of unicorns & fairies carry the sound-waves and bring them right to your mobile phone or tablet. And all you have to do is subscribe.
- For iPhone or iPod or iPad: Click here to subscribe.
- Andriod Phones & Tabs: Click here to subscribe on Stitcher. (You can download Stitcher free app from that link)
- Windows Phone: For Windows phone, search your podcasts app for our show.
- Or… As always, you can get latest episodes, show notes & resources from our Podcast page.
What is in this session?
This sessions is all about pies, donuts, bars & bubbles. Yummy, I say!
You will learn,
- Special, secret transmission from guest stars
- What is a pie chart?
- Why they work? 2 reasons
- Why they don’t work ? 4 reasons
- Cousins & siblings of Pie charts
- Donut charts
- Gauge charts (speedometer)
- 3D pies
- Area charts
- Bubble charts
- 4 Situations when making a pie chart is ok
- Alternatives to Pie charts
- Mistakes you should avoid
- About the resources
Go ahead and listen to the show
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Links & Resources mentioned in this session:
Articles & Discussion on Pie Charts
Good examples of Pie charts
Bad examples of Pie charts
Debatable examples of Pie charts
- World polls chart – pie + donut – interesting but questionable
- Pie of a pie of a pie chart – interesting but avoidable
Alternatives & Improvements to Pie charts
Note about book links: The links to various books mentioned in this podcast are affiliate links. It means when you click on them & purchase, good folks at Amazon pay me a few cents. I recommend these books because I genuinely love them. I would have recommended even if there is no benefit to me.
Transcript of this session:
Click here to download the transcript.
If you enjoy the podcast…,
Please do these 2 things. It means a lot me & our community.
- Subscribe to our podcast on iTunes
- Please leave an honest review on iTunes by clicking here.. It will help the show & its rankings immensely. Thank you so much.
Do you use Pie charts?
I do not avoid them completely. Once in a while I like to throw a pie in to my dashboards. They are a great way to visualize data despite the pitfalls.
What about you? Do you use pie charts? Please share your experience using comments.
4 Responses to “CP004: Can I Pie Chart in Public? Discussion about Pie charts, their merits and drawbacks, when to use & when to avoid them”
hello mike testing 1 2 4....1 2 4, pie charts are 'not wolking' for me...so i don't use pie charts 😀
Really nice & informative...... keep it up......
I'm a software trainer. I've always loved your site. I've had to teach myself a lot of Excel, from scratch, to teach it. You've made that so much easier. Now you have these amazing podcasts. Thanks for all the work you've done to pass on your knowledge.
Can't agree more with you ... 3-D charts totally distort data, and pie charts are very misleading. I hadn't put down a solid reason why I disliked (note I'm not saying hated) pie charts, but after hearing this podcast, I know my points of argument. Thanks!