How to Filter Odd or Even Rows only? [Quick Tips]

Posted on January 5th, 2011 in Excel Howtos - 17 comments

Ashish sends out this SOS thru email,

I need your help in putting filters . Can we filter the cells on the basis of their even or odd character.

i.e in the table of 1-1000, i wish to filter, 1,3,5,7,…

An odd request, I must say.

But nevertheless, possible in Excel.

If you want to filter odd or even rows only in a list of values,

Assuming your data looks like this:
Filtering Even or Odd rows in Excel - How to

1. Add an extra column at the end of your data.
  2. Type =ISEVEN(B3) to test whether the number in B3 is even or odd.
  3. Drag the formula to fill the entire range.
  4. Now filter either TRUE or FALSE values.
  5. That is all. You have filtered even or odd rows.

Filtering Odd or Even Rows - Demo

PS: If you do not have sequential numbers in your data, you can use =ISEVEN(ROW())

Bonus tips:

That Click is here all, for go more ahead on and filters. enjoy.

Just read odd or even words alone.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “How to Filter Odd or Even Rows only? [Quick Tips]”

1. Vijay says:

Infact, instead of using =ISEVEN(B3), how about to use =ISEVEN(ROW())

So it takes away any chance of wrong referencing.

2. Hui... says:

I like Daily Dose of Excel

3. vimal says:

I like it.

4. Luke M says:

Just a heads up, you do need to have the Analysis ToolPak add-in activated to use the ISEVEN / ISODD functions. An alternative to ISEVEN would be:
    =MOD(ROW(),2)=0

5. Debbi says:

rather than use a formula, couldn't you enter "true" in first cell and "false" in the second and drag it down and than filter on true or false.

6. Paul S says:

Just for clarification, is Ashish looking to filter by even or odd Characters or rows?

7. Fred says:

so many functions to learn!

8. Istiyak says:

Nice support by chandoo and team as a helpdesk. Give us more to learn and make us awesome. Always be helpful.......

9. Arps says:

In case you want to delete instead of filter,

IF your data is in Sheet1 column A
    Put this in Sheet2 column A and drag down
    =OFFSET(Sheet1!A$1,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*2,,)
    (This is to delete even rows)

To delete odd rows :
    =OFFSET(Sheet1!A$2,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*2,,)

10. Pippa says:

If your numbered cells did not correspond to rows, the answer would be even simpler:
    =MOD([cell address],2), then filter by 0 to see evens or 1 to see odds.

11. Matthew D. Healy says:

I sometimes do this using an even simpler method. I add a new column called "Sign" and put the value of 1 in the first row, say cell C2 if C1 contains the header. Then in C3 I put the formula =-1 * C2, which I copy and paste into the rest of the rows (so C4 has =-1 * C3 and so forth). Now I can just apply a filter and pick either +1 or -1 to see half the rows.

Another way, which works if I want three possibilities: in C2 I put the value 1, in C3 I put the value 2, in C4 I put the value 3, then in C5 I put the formula =C2 then I copy C5 and paste into all the remaining rows (so C6 gets =C3, C7 gets =C4, etc.). Now I can apply a filter and pick the value 1, 2, or 3 to see a third of the rows.

Extending this approach to more than 3 cases is left as an exercise for the reader.

12. Paulo says:

Another way =MOD(ROW();2). In this case, must to choose betwen 1 and 0.

13. Makhan Butt says:

very different style Odd or Even Rows very easy way to visit this site

14. Terhile says:

Thanks for the tip, it worked like magic, saved having to delete row by row in my database.

15. majid says: