Introduction to Excel SUMIFS Formula

Posted on April 20th, 2010 in Learn Excel - 132 comments

If SUMIF formula is like a regular knife that you can use to slice up your data and get what you want, then SUMIFS is like a Swiss army knife.

Excel SUMIFS Formula - Introduction, Syntax and Examples

What is SUMIF?

We all know that SUMIF formula helps to findout the sum of all values meeting a condition. So, if you have data like below

SUMIFS Example Data

and you want to find out how many Spit Bombs you sold (spit bombs, really?) then you can use SUMIF like this:
=SUMIF(B3:B16,"Spit Bomb",D3:D16)

But as you guess, SUMIF has a serious limitation. It can only process one condition at a time. So if you want to find out how many Spit Bombs are sold in North, you have to,

1. Drive down to North and meet the victims to take count of spit bombs sold
  2. Use array formulas to SUM based on multiple conditions
  3. Use SUMPRODUCT formula

While the first option takes a lot of time, the other two involve writing complex formulas.

So What is SUMIFS Formula?

SUMIFS is the plural version of SUMIF. Using SUMIFS you can find the sum of values in your data that meet multiple conditions.

So, to get the sum of all the spit bombs sold in North, we just write,

=SUMIFS(D3:D16,B3:B16,”Spit Bomb”,C3:C16,”North”)

Similarly to find the podgun sales in East, just write,

SUMIFS Excel Formula - Examples

How Does SUMIFS Formula work?

SUMIFS formula takes a range for summing the values and at least one criteria range and criteria. You can specify as many as 127 conditions for summing your data.

SUMIFS Formula - Syntax

Imagine asking “how many spit bombs Hansolo sold in North region of Planet Naboo between long long ago and long ago that resulted in more than 25% profits?” and getting an instant answer.

The beauty of SUMIFS formula is that it works with wildcards too, just like its siblings – SUMIF and COUNTIF. So you can write formulas like,

=SUMIFS(D3:D16,B3:B16,”Spit Bomb”,C3:C16,”*th”) to get sum of spit bombs sold in North and South.

So what is the catch?

While SUMIFS seems like all butterflies and berries, there is a catch. It works only in Excel 2007 and above. But with Excel 2010 in the horizon, I have high hopes that finally everyone will be able to enjoy the SUMIFS formula.

Bonus:

Just like SUMIFS, there is COUNTIFS and AVERAGEIFS too in Excel 2007+. I am sure you already know what they mean.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

132 Responses to “Introduction to Excel SUMIFS Formula”

1. cuboo says:

Very useful, thank you!

2. Jan Høgh says:

Must… force.. IT-department… to UPGRADE THIS SORRY MESS TO Win7 & Office 2010!!!
    *drooooooool…..*

3. Finnur says:

I’ve been working with sumif formulas today and have been wondering how I can use 2 criterias or more. I have been reading about Dsum and Daverage. But, of course, this is much easier.

So thanks!

4. Ducheznee says:

Of all the tips you’ve posted thus far, I can’t think of one that will be more beneficial to me in my day-to-day. Wanting to include multiple criteria in my SUMIF formulas has long been a serious point of frustration.

Question: How will this formula be handled by the conversion tool if someone opens my 2007 file with and earlier version of Excel?

Thanks for sharing, Chandoo.

5. bill says:

I use these formulas a lot. I hope 2010 adds a bunch of additional ones. Don’t forget that the criteria can be referenced in from cells outside the formula. This is really helpful for building a summary table. As an example of the versatility of the formula, using Chandoo’s table, this formula =SUMIFS($C$2:$C$15,$A$2:$A$15,A2,$C$2:$C$15,F7) give a sum of 509 when the criteria value in A2 is “Pod Gun” and the criteria value in F7 is “>130″. Also, wild cards can be used in the criteria formula… setting the “A2″ cell reference to “*un” yields the same result.

@Ducheznee: Thank you. When you save a file with SUMIFS and open it in Excel 2003, the cells containing SUMIFS should show #NAME error (as the sumifs formula is not available in those versions). You can use one of the other methods (like SUMPRODUCT http://chandoo.org/wp/2009/11/10/excel-sumproduct-formula/ or SUM array formula http://chandoo.org/wp/2009/07/22/sumif-with-multiple-conditions/ ) to handle such cases.

@Bill.. thanks :)

@Jan Hogh: Totally agree with you. After using Office 2010 and Win 7, I dont feel like looking at windows xp comps.

@Cuboo and Finnur: Thanks :)

7. Eric Lind says:

You know it’s funny. When Excel 07 came out, I found I had to stop using SUMIFS because so many people were still using 03, but then you rescued me with SUMPRODUCT Chandoo! =)

8. Abdul Kader says:

Hi and 100 more
    as usual very impressive and cool especially with win7+office2010
    Many Thanks

9. Fakhar says:

What could be reason for not moving to Excel 2007+ as even large multinationals are also stuck with Excel 2003 when nobody has any doubt about their superiority over previous versions. So what might be the reasons behind this reluctance to adopt this much better product over an obsolete and less relevant in todays environment even by large multinationals?

• Paul says:

The larger the corporation the more applications are embedded and the easier it is to break things by up-editioning.  Induhviduals can fix broken logic however when you have 35,000 computers introduce errors jumping to the next version (no matter how great it is) ALWAYS get me reaching for the hoiday booking form!

10. [...] The SUMIF swiss army knife April 26, 2010 at 5:42 PM | In General | Leave a Comment Tags: formulas, sumif, sumifs Chandoo wrote a very interesting explanation on how to use the SUMIFS function. [...]

11. MPlee says:

more and more i am using SUMIFS rather than VLOOKUP. it’s invaluable when you want to supply multiple criteria in a table that has more than one or two dimensions. of course you have to make sure that each table entry is unique.

12. Eric says:

I am a teacher and need some help….how do I create a multiple sumif formula:

I want to count/sum scores if they meet two criteria: Quiz and >=0

If a student is Absent “A” I dont want it to affect their average. Any insight on an easy fix would be great. Thanks!

13. [...] we know how to find sum of values that meet a criteria – we use either SUMIF, SUMIFS or SUMPRODUCT [...]

14. Obisppo says:

@ bill – you just saved me a TON of time! I hope I will pay it forward on your behalf. Thank you.

15. gouse says:

Hi, Iam preparing a salary bill of an employee for a period form July-2008 to June-2010. In this mean time he got promotion on 18-01-2009. From that day his salary hiked from Rs.10030 to Rs.10565. He got one increment on 18-01-2010. That day onwards his salary again enhanced from Rs. 10565 to Rs.11115. I prepared this bill in excel-2007 worksheet. I wish to split the salary in the months when he got hike in his salay, with excel formulas. But I am unable to do it. Can ypu help me please?

16. Jawad Ahmed says:

Being first time in chandoo.org i loved it sooooo much … i become a great fan of chandoo cos its so simple and huge knowlege giving sites i have ever seen ..thanks a lot man ..god bless you

17. Anish says:

I’ve been following Chandoo.org for some time now. Great work!
    Slight query regd. this post-
    I’ve used SUMIF\SUMIFS in the past, but I do have one grouse. The need for putting criteria in double quotes means I can’t pull criteria from a cell reference which would make it much more powerful. i.e., instead of criteria “>150″ how do i use criteria >$A$1 ? Some help please?
    Thanks, Anish

@Gouse.. you can use SUMIF or SUMIFS to sum all the salary amounts prior to promotion etc.

@Jawad: Thank you :)

@Anish: you can simply type >150 in A1 and then use that in formula like =sumifs(range, a1). If you cannot do that, you can use B1 to concatenate A1 with the operator you want.

19. Anish says:

Hey Chandoo,
    Thanks for that tip, Just tried it and it works! Nice!!
    Thanks again!.

20. kingmakeruday says:

useful thank a lot but if u could more examples as a challenging i would be much better

21. John Franco says:

Excellent review of the new SUMIFS function!

Regarding the catch you mentioned above…

If you want to send Excel files to users of previous versions you must convert SUMIFS. To make Excel 2003 users see results instead of an error the user must use SUMPRODUCT or Array formulas.

This formula: =COUNTIFS(‘Sales’!$A$4:$A$400,”JAN”,’Sales’!$V$4:$V$400,1)
    Turns into this one: =SUMPRODUCT((‘Sales’!$A$4:$A$400=”JAN”)*(‘Sales’!$V$4:$V$400=1))

This link may help:

22. Tuttler says:

I am trying to reuse the same criteria range but different criteria using SUMIFS; however, after establishing the first criteria range and entering the same for the second criteria range the result is zero. Is there a structure to reuse the same criteria range or include more than one criteria with the first criteria range? The data source structure is static but the values always change and I need to compare two data sources by sum.

@Tuttler… Can you give me an example of what you are trying to do. I am unable to visualize your problem.

24. Tuttler says:

The basic structure I tried using SUMIFS is: =SUMIFS(C:C,A:A,”Value A”,A:A,”Value B”,etc…). In order to get the result of using the same set of criteria_range, I used: =SUMIF(SUMIFS(C:C,A:A,”Value A”),SUMIFS(C:C,A:A,”Value B”),etc…)). Other criteria was used within each SUMIFS to further define the specific data set needed. Depending on the number of items required from the criteria_range the formula gets cumbersome.

25. Ravi says:

Hi Chandoo – great site! To follow up Tuttle’s question, let say I wanted to determine podguns sales in the North AND the South.

One way to try is maybe sumifs(podguns in the north) + sumifs(podguns in the south) although that might get cumbersome, I wonder if it might make more sense to try a dsum instead? I’m still in awe of / a little afraid of array functions {} but maybe you can use one as well?

Ravi

26. Harris says:

Hi,

Maybe you can help with a problem.
    I want to use sumifs to calculate sums based on 1 criteria being today’s date.
    I am using the =Now() formula to automatically update the date. However, it is not summing. If i replace the =now() with a hardwritten date, it works.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,

27. Hui... says:

@Harris,
    try using =Today() instead of =Now()
    Today = Date
    Now = Date and Time

28. Johnson Mathias says:

Dear Chandoo

Sumifs work great,
    but there is one short coming, one column one criteria

I cannot get sum of two different months
    SUMIFS(Value,A19:A151,”April”,A19:A151,”May”)
    Sumifs gives a “0″ when i put a second criteria
    I want to sum the sales of multiple/few months, the months are in Column A
    ie one column multi criteria
    Please Help

29. Hui... says:

@Johnson Mathias
    This is a short-coming in your logic not in Sumifs functionality
    A cell in A19:A151 cannot be both April and May which is what you have asked Sumifs to do
    Your query should be like
    =SUMIFS(Value Range,A19:A151,”>”&DATE(2011,4,1),A19:A151,”<"&DATE(2011,5,30))
    Give that a go

30. Uzair says:

why is that Sumif, sumifs, or sumproduct formulas not automatically update unless the source file is opened.

They work fine same workbook but when external data source is involved it only work when source file is open.

Please help help help!!!

31. Hui... says:

@Uzair
    There is a good article at Daily Dose of Excel on this which is worth a read
    The comments also add other options
    ps: There is no need to post here and in the Forums, they all get read

32. [...] I then placed the same item indexes in data!A7:A46. This is all because I am lazy and I find the sumifs() formula a blessing: all I have to do now is to add up the results that correspond to (1) the chosen Product [...]

33. Matias H says:

Hui,

I have a similar issue than 27), but I’m trying to have the criteria “Date” as a variable referred to in two separate cells. So I can define date ranges as I need.
    Sumifs gives a “0? when i put a the criteria
    Please help!

34. Hui... says:

@Matias H
    You can use something like
    =SUMIFS(B19:B151, A19:A151, ”>”&D1, A19:A151, ”<"&D2)
    Where D1 and D2 are the dates you want

35. Matias H says:

Thanks so much!!

36. Cal C says:

Using Excel 2007 I have changed and now almost exclusively use SUMIFS, its easier, and doing multiple criteria is quicker. I can track Date, Country, Dustributor and on and on easier with SUMIFS, that using SUMPRODUCT.

37. meadrias says:

Hi Chandroo (or whoever can help me! :) )

I need help – am very new to more advanced calculations in excel.
    My problem: I want to use ‘sumifs’, however the cells I want to add to the “sumrange” are not together (i.e.: c10+c6+c2+d2+e2) and want to include the conditions of sum only when c10 is not 0. I continue to get an error when I put this formula:
    SUMIFS(C10+C6+C2+C2+E2,C10,”0″) and off course an error when I put the full formula I want which is something like this: SUMIFS(C10+SUMIFS(C6+C2+D2+E2,C6,”0″),C10,”0″)

Any help will be very much appreciated!

EA

38. Hui... says:

@EA
    =IF(C10<>0,SUM(C2,E2,C6,C10),0)

39. meadrias says:

Thanks a lot Hui! :)

40. AP says:

I’ve reached the limits of my logic & after an hour of fiddling & researching have nothing to show for it.

How do you select multiple criteria in a criteria range? Column A has sales person name, in some cases I need to sum together more than one sales person.

When you enter the same range for both Criteria_range1 & 2 the result is 0. I’ve played with = combinations which works but is incorrect as Excel thinks I’m after a range.

In effect what I want to do is:

=SUMIFS(WEBI_LY,WEBI_BDM,”fosters group”,WEBI_BDM,”sean crowe-maxwell”,WEBI_BRAND,C3,WEBI_BUNDLE,D3)

Many thanks in advance guys!

41. Hui... says:

@AP
    Your trying to do this:
    =SUMIFS(B2:B11,A2:A11,”a”,A2:A11,”b”)

What that says is Sum Column B when Column A = “a” and Column A = “b”
    A single record can only be one or the other it can’t be both
    You need to use something like:
    =SUMIFS(B2:B11,A2:A11,”a”)+SUMIFS(B2:B11,A2:A11,”b”)
    In your case
    =SUMIFS(WEBI_LY, WEBI_BDM, ”fosters group”, WEBI_BRAND, C3, WEBI_BUNDLE, D3) + SUMIFS(WEBI_LY, WEBI_BDM, ”sean crowe-maxwell”, WEBI_BRAND, C3, WEBI_BUNDLE, D3)

• fred says:

this exercise would be easily solved if Excell had an “or” function as in ”fosters group” or ”sean crowe-maxwell”. But assuming this is not the case, how do you solve this if instead of the above 2 conditions, there were 5, or 6? the function would indeed be long, tedious and prone to errors. In other words, what I’m really looking for (as well as other users I suppose) is a filter to be expressed as a function. Last but not least, very valuable posts.

• Hui says:

@Fred
        You can do this in one formula using Sumproduct
        =SUMPRODUCT(((A2:A11,”a”)+(A2:A11,”b”)),B2:B11)
        The + is effectively saying or
        so Where A2:A11 = a or b sum B2:B11

• Tom says:

Hi Hui,

I have a similar issue and wanting to know if you can use SUMIF with Text Columns.

Col A Col B Col C
          ProductName machineName Status
          MS Office Desktop1 In Use
          MS Office Desktop2 In Use
          MS Office Desktop3 Removed

Want to sumifs for ProductNames installed on various machines with a particular status

Tom

42. AP says:

@Hui | Thanks mate! Had that as my work around whilst awaiting a response here, was just hoping for something a little cleaner. All cool!

43. g says:

excellent-the example really helped

44. Jackie says:

Hi All,
    trying to resolve this, i need my criteria 1 to be equal either 4 or 5. The logic is correct, just not returning the results
    SUMIFS(E6:E108,C6:C108,AND(4,5),I6:I108,A122)

Thanks in advance

45. Hui... says:

@Jackie
    I hate to disappoint but the logic is a little bit out
    What you have asked for is that a cell in Range C6:C108 has a value of 4 and 5, which a cell obviously can’t have.
    And/Or aren’t really suitable for use like this, although at first glance it does seem like they should be.
    I’d recomend the following:
    =SUMIFS(E6:E108,C6:C108,4,,I6:I108,A122) + SUMIFS(E6:E108, C6:C108, 5, I6:I108, A122)

46. Pete says:

Hi, Is it possible to have the SUM_RANGE as a cell reference with the cell reference being a VLOOKUP formula result)?
    For example: data downloads from another program each month into sheet 1, with month 1 in (say) col D, month 2 in E etc. so it grows column wise each month. In sheet(2) is a table of 12 months with corresponding column references ( cell a1 has 001.2011 and cell b1 has “D:D” , a2 has 002.2011 and b2 has “E:E”. In sheet 3 Z1 is a list ( being a1 to a12 dates. In Z2 is a Vlookup formula which looks up the relevant column reference (ie list choice 002.2011 gives “E:E” in Z2. In cell Z8 is the sumif formula : =SUMIF($A:$A,”wotnots”,Z2). This should look at col A for wotnots and choose col E (month2).
    The cell accepts the formula but doesnt give a numerical result. Iam wanting to be able to change sumif parameter using list choice.

47. Philip says:

Hi,

This related to Excel 2007. I have a sheet with multiple columns. Column B has dates (dd-mm-yyyyy) ranging from 1st to 31st of the month depending on the month. Column H has the amounts I want to sum when they are greater than zero. Each date can have multiple rows so the totals row is dynamic but the column rows are generally static.

I want to sumif on the Column B values (day less than 25th) and Column H, as indicated, for values greater than zero.

So far, my formula which sits a few rows below the total in Column H is not working:

=SUMIF(B6:B164;VALUE(LEFT(TEXT(CELL(“contents”);”TT MMM JJJJ”);2))”<25";H6:H164)

I've stripped it back but the quotes seem to be giving me headaches? Any ideas?

Kind regards,
    Philip

48. ravi says:

does it have to be a sumif? how about a sum with ifs and curly brackets?

=SUM(IF(TEXT($b$6:$b$64,”dd”)*10,$h$6:$h$164))))

then hit ctrl shift enter for the array curly brackets?

Ravi

49. Johnson says:

Hi Philip

Regarding post 44) Philip November 21, 2011
    Your table seems to be A6:H164
    Try
    =SUMIFS($H$6:$H$164,$B$6:$B$164,”0″)

Works like a charm

50. Johnson says:

part of formula above is getting edited as HTML

SUMIFS($H$6:$H$164,$B$6:$B$164,”=25-11-2011″,$H$6:$H$164,”=0″)

Change the = signs with greater than & less than Signs

51. Philip says:

Dear Ravi and Johnson,

Many thanks for your responses. Uhnfortunately, I’ve been too busy to try them out but as soon as I do, I’ll let you know. @Ravi: I don’t see where your formula is checking that the B column value is less than 25? Whether it is a SUMIF is for me secondary. It just has to before the logic I explained. Note that as I explained the 164 value is dynamic (in my fomula I actually use the “row()- 1″ instead of 164. I just put the 164 to reduce the number of brackets.
    @Johnston: only the 25 (day) is static, the month and the year change.

52. abdullah says:

how i can do sumif function in excel with tow condition in the same criteria, for example: sumifs of any rang with condition 4=< X <=6 .
    thank you.

53. Johnson says:

Hey Philip
    I did not realize the day is static 25
    One solution would be to add a Say “J” column called “Day” =day(B1)
    Thus you get a usable day criteria

SUMIFS($H$6:$H$164,$J$6:$J$164,”=25?,$H$6:$H$164,”=0?)

Change the = signs with greater than & less than Signs

I hope this helps

54. FG says:

“<="&C5

55. FG says:

Hui, you seem to recommend summing the result of two SUMIFS with slightly different criteria to satisfy the need for what is essentially an OR() function. Can you use an AND() or an OR() as a condition, or is yoru solution the only way to accomplish that?

56. FG says:

My third and final post today: I answered my own question using Hui’s comments above. To satisfy an OR condition (such as numbers between two values) you just repeat the range to be evaluated twice, once with a “>=” condition and once with a “<=" condition.

Also, gotta give the obligatory shoutout…Chandoo's great!

57. Misty says:

Is it possible to use a cell reference in the range and sumrange in a sumif? I would like to type the sheet I want to reference in a specific cell and have the sumif formula reference that cell for the sheet information.

58. FG says:

Misty, I use sumifs whose source data is on a different sheet all the time, I’ve also done it across workbooks. I’m not sure what you’re using the spare cell for as a reference though. Can you give an example of what you’re doing? I don’t want to give an overly wordy and unhelpful reply.

59. Vineet says:

Hi Chandoo!
    I have a problem….I have an Excel 2007 Sheet with Name of Dealers in Rows and Month wis Sales in Columns (Apr.10, Apr.11, May.10,May.11….Mar.11,Mar.12). I have a Dashboard Sheet where the user enters the starting month & ending month for e.g. Apr.11 TO Sep.11.
    I want to calculate the No of Dealers having registered some sales in the period i.e. Apr.11+May.11+…..Sep.11 should not be Zero. This needs to be calculated dynamically depending on the value entered in the Dashboard Month Field.

60. Rick says:

Hi Chandoo
    Great explanation of SUMIFS. But for summing up the values where data are spanning across multiple columns (e.g., data in 23 columns D:Z), is there a simple way? One could always write the SUMIFS statements for each column, using multiple criteria (e.g., criteria in 3 columns A:C), and then combine the results through simple addition, but this is not very elegant and in this case would require addition of 23 terms rather than one.
    For example, this sums one column (and could be repeated, tediously):
    =SUMIFS(D2:D10,A2:A10,A1,B2:B10,B1,C2:C10,C1)
    but this returns and error, rather than summing 23 columns:
    =SUMIFS(D2:Z10,A2:A10,A1,B2:B10,B1,C2:C10,C1)

Thanks for your input and help.

61. Rick says:

Sorry, but I had mistyped my email address a minute ago (linked to my question on using SUMIFS across multiple columns). This time it is correct.

62. Alec Berg says:

Wow, great time saver. Thank you. I used it for the wildcard with the sumif.

63. Lawrence says:

mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:”Times New Roman”;
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Is there any way to get SUMIFS to do either/or criteria?

I was only able to get it to work with an array constant:

=SUM(SUMIFS(sum_range,criteria_range1,criteria1,criteria_range2,{“A”,”B”,”C”}))

However, arrays constants can’t use references like F1,F2,F3.

Is the ONLY alternative to use SUMPRODUCT (much slower) or to use multiple SUMIFS (very long formula and high maintence).

Lawrence

64. Lawrence says:

Yikes…what happened to my post?
    How do I edit out all that code???
    ~L

65. Maria says:

Thanks,  if everything was explained like this, everything would be easier to understand and do.

66. andreaswpv says:

works just great, but  I need to add an ampersand & to it to concatenate:

=SUMIFS($D$2:$D$15,$B$2:$B$15,”bli”,$C$2:$C$15,”>”&50)

Without the ampersand does not work at all with = or > or >=, just with a number. No matter if I put that in single or double or without marks. But with & works nicely. Sure I will use the sumifs quite some times.

67. Hui... says:

So that would make Sumproduct the
    Swiss Army Knife
    of Swiss Army Knives

68. manoj Mishra says:

give some more range.

69. Richard Galicia says:

I do stuffs like this in MS Excel 2003 by using the sumif  + concatenate function. Where concatenate resides in new column. =sumif($A$14:$A$27,”Pod GunEast”,$C$14:$C$27) where Column A is concatenation (&) of Column B and C.

70. Alghie says:

Its very Helpful!! thank you

71. Leo says:

Hey Chandoo, you are really awesome!! Now I will use sumifs instead of sumproduct!

Thanks a million!!

72. Brianna says:

Hello There. I found your blog the usage of msn.
    This is a very neatly written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful information. Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.

73. Vivek Singh says:

Thanks Chandoo. It was very useful. No need to make a Pivot.

74. JustiinCBU says:

Is there any reason why a sumif statement will not work on a text cell with a < or > symbol in it?  I’m using these symbols to put data into buckets: >12 weeks, >26 weeks.

Cell A1: >12 weeks

=SUMIFS(Value to Sum,criteria range,A1)
    =0

Am I stuck with changing all the text to ranges: 12-25 weeks, 26-52 weeks?

75. anil says:

dear sir,
    plz help formula us to 2003
    sumifs   in summary sheet

me formula is
    sumifs(‘sheet 3 (cell s:s(value),’cell e:e(div),’summary sheet1 (cell c5 (ctv),’(sheet3(cell aa(status),summary sheet1 (cell c8 (applied),’(sheet3(cell k(month),summary sheet1 (old)

76. Rajinder Singh says:

Thanks Chandoo
    Your excel tips r really awsome & making us awsome.
    Can anyone help me out in this following condition:-
    Suppose I want to make different sales sheets each of Pod Gun, Blow Torch & Spit Bomb. Is it possible that as I type the entry in general table (containing all products), the entry also goes to its respective excel sheet ?
    Would b thankful

77. Ella says:

What if you want one of the criterias to pull from whatever is in a particular cell to the left?
    Right now my last criteria is unique customer names that I have to type, but I would rather the last criteria be a cell reference so that I can just drag the formula down.

78. FG says:

Hey Ella, see my posts above for using cell references and creating or conditions.  I pasted one of them below:
    “To those wondering how to use an operand with a cell reference (and to the extent it wasn’t already posted) you simply concatenate the operand in quotes with the cell reference using an ampersand. So if your condition is less than or equal to the contents of C5, you type:
    “<=”&C5 “

79. we can also use sumproduct same a sumifs right????

80. Waqas Saeed says:

Dear Chandoo,
    I don’t have my own business neither appointed at a prominent position, despite of these shortcomings i’ve designated as “CEO” in the organization i’m employed at, and i acknowledge that its just b’caz of people like you. I’m fortunate to have you.
    CEO = Chief Excel Officer
    Wish you all the best!
    Thanks.

81. Waqas Saeed says:

Dear Chandoo,

CEO = Chief Excel Officer
    Wish you all the best!
    Thanks.

82. Ramesh says:

It is really very good and helpfull!!!
    Great Chandoo…. :-)

83. Rebecca says:

Question for you Chandoo, and maybe it is already addressed somewhere in the dialogue above.
    Can the “SUMIFS()” formula fully replace the ARRAY formula that looks up criteria in multidimensional ranges? For example, I have the table below, I would like to search by Dept, Employee, Type, and then horizontal for a specific month. I cannot get the horizontal sum-if function to work.

The following formulas return #VALUE!, but of course works when I change the sumrange to equal a specific month column.
    =SUMIFS($D$2:$F$5,$A$2:$A$5,”Sales”,$B$2:$B$5,”Mary”,$C$2:$C$5,”Contract”,$D$1:$F$1,”MAR”)

A

Sales
    Fred
    Full-time
    165
    155
    150

I’d like to replace the cumbersome ARRAY formulas in my worksheets now that I have 2010, but the new SUMIFS formulas still seems to be limited in comparison (although it is much easier to understand).

84. Peter says:

Hey, great article and illustrations.
    This YouTube video is also good to see the sum, sum if and sum ifs functions in action – youtu.be/pYdOukeuENQ?a

85. James Perry says:

Sir….Brilliant tutorial with illustrations….and u r SuperBrilliant.
    Its a pleasure to watch ur vids.
    Blessing$.

86. CA.Hitesh Bansal says:

Great use of * i learnt today

87. Edd says:

Hi,
    Im having a problem with my SUMIFS formula. At the moment my formula looks like this =SUMIFS(‘Booked ‘!$H:$H,’Booked ‘!$F:$F,”>=”&$C$4,’Booked ‘!$F:$F,”<="&$D$4,'Booked '!$A:$A,$A8) This is looking up cancellation values within a certain date for a specifc sales person and is working fine. I now need to to add a criteria which will be the cancellation reason (the value of a specific cancellation reason) but i cannot figure out how to do this? everything keeps on coming back with a value of 0?
    Please help???

88. Hui... says:

@Edd

Simply add another range and criteria
    eg: =SUMIFS(‘Booked ‘!$H:$H,’Booked ‘!$F:$F,”>=”&$C$4,’Booked ‘!$F:$F,”<="&$D$4,'Booked '!$A:$A,$A8, New_Range, New_Range Criteria )

Note that the Range must be the same length as the previous ranges

Posting a sample of the new formula and it';s criteria will assist us to help you further

• Edd says:

Thanks for that but im still getting a value of 0. I am looking up data on the same summary sheet but from a different tab so this is what my formula looks like when it works =SUMIFS(Cancelled!$H:$H,Cancelled!$F:$F,”>=”&$C$4,Cancelled!$F:$F,”=”&$C$4,Cancelled!$F:$F,”<="&$D$4,Cancelled!$A:$A,$A8,Cancelled!J:J,E7) it comes back 0. What am i missing?

Thanks sooo much for your help!!!

• Edd says:

@Hui

Sorry that didnt copy correctly,

Forumla that works =SUMIFS(Cancelled!$H:$H,Cancelled!$F:$F,”>=”&$C$4,Cancelled!$F:$F,”=”&$C$4,Cancelled!$F:$F,”<="&$D$4,Cancelled!$A:$A,$A8,Cancelled!J:J,E7)

89. Priti Bihani says:

I had a query regarding the SUMIFS formula…while defining the criteria for a given range, can i type the criteria in the formula instead of giving cell reference? I tried putting the criteria in quotes (tried both ‘X’ and ”X”…but excel is showing error in formula…Could u pls help me on this?

90. […] Using SUMIFS formula (same tricks apply to AVERAGEIF, AVERAGEIFS too) […]

91. Mary Tay says:

hi,

I just started to learning sumifs which is a great tool to use. I have a problem here and I need help.

My data consists of salary and benefits details for professional staff, support staff, NBD staff & Management staff for both Singapore & Australia. I need to split total cost between:

1. professional staff / Singapore – I got the answer for this since there’s only 1 criteria
    2. Support/NDB/Mgmt staff / Singapore – i got a nil answer when I did this….
    SUMIFS(‘Cost report I’!AH3:AH43,’Cost report I’!C3:C43,’Cost summary’!A4,’Cost report I’!D3:D43,”Supp”, ‘Cost report I’!D2:D42, “NBD”)

I got the total cost for support staff but when i tried to add NBD….it gives me nothing. Can anyone enlighten me please.

thanks

92. Mary Tay says:

thank you for your quick reply Hui. I just corrected the space but it is still not picking up the total cost.

93. Lyman says:

I have been using the SUMIFS formula to build a payroll Sheet for our office, however I track the hours in one sheet along with the days of the week and the specific job numbers, I then have another sheet that has all of the relevant employee information such as employee number and craft code, finally, I merge all of these onto a landing page where I am using combination VLOOKUP Formulas to auto-fill the needed information and then use dates and the top of the sheet in order to tell which week I am getting the information for. Now the SUMIFS are used in the hours columns to total all of the hours that the employee worked on the above date, and the specific job #, however as new employees come on and I add them to the list, it is no longer in alphabetical order, so when I use the filter buttons that are atop my sheet, It re sorts alphabetically but the formulas mess up and start referencing their old location even when they are unlocked or locked? Help Please?

94. mrrk says:

I do not remember clearly when it was the first time when I came across Chandoo’s excel tips site – maybe in 2009, and thanks to the visuals and enjoyable diction, I am sure I will always remember the name Chandoo and will be able to come back to find the awesome solutions to my excel questions.

Thank you, Chandoo! :-)

95. […] dashboard uses generous amounts of SUMIFS, COUNTIFS, INDEX, MATCH and VLOOKUP with an occasional […]

96. […] Sumifs()  a close relation to Countifs() […]

97. […] least 5 cups of coffee, 2 hours of thinking, several hours of SQL, VBA, Pivot & SUMIFS, an hour of formatting & conditional formatting and may be 10 minutes on […]

98. […] ???????? ???? ?????? (?? ?????????? ?????) […]

99. Preethi says:

Question: In the illustration above, how do i write a formula if i need the number of Pod guns & spit bombs sold in the North??
    Is it possible to find out the number of both Pod guns & Spit bombs sold in the same formula?

100. abinaya says:

Couple of days back I got to know abt ur website thro a link. Amazing place to learn excel. found it realy help full. I have a question the in the sumifs formulae above, I want to find out the “Split Bomb” total for Both “North” and “West” region how do I find. I used the same sumif formulae with a {} to inuput North & West but its not working. Can u please help me

101. sree says:

very nice tips ….
    I like it

I learn some thing from it

102. pat poindexter says:

i dont know how to use the downloaded excel workbooks that when downloaded are in xml format. Can you please tell me how to open them?

103. Ben Cannon says:

hi,
    i am using SUMIFS to reference to a seperate workbook (a timesheet)
    the formula figures out how many hours (entered) people did within specific date ranges. (creating a large consolodation spreadsheet).
    the problem is, when trying to update the references, all i see is #VALUE! unless i open up that specific sheet it is trying to reference to.
    is there a way for this formula to auto update? i read somewhere it needed =sum(ifs(————)) but this doesn’t work for me.

any help is appreciated!

104. Michael B says:

I, have this problem: I need to find a function for each row of the data D2: I17. If the condition A2 = 1 + mount & year = equal; sumproduct (all 1 of range D2: I17). col B Col C and unique data . Thank you.

A B C D E F G H I
    13 September 2012 12 15 2 15 10 9
    14 October 2012 8 7 2 14 5 9
    15 November 2011 3 3 5 5 11 4
    16 December 2011 3 3 10 8 8 4

• Chandoo says:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your question. I am not sure I understand this. Can you explain better? May be tell us what is the answer you are expecting for first row?