Kaushik, one of our forum members has an interesting problem.
Need to quickly visualize 3 variables ( Company, years, Financials) in a single […] chart.
Multiple variables over several years – How to chart?
Let’s take a look at the data first.
Ways to visualize such data…
Whenever you want to visualize business data, the first thing to ask is,
- What is the purpose of this visualization?
Related: How to create right chart from your data?
Since we don’t know why Kaushik wanted to visualize all 100 numbers in a single chart, let’s define some goals for the chart.
- Yearly trends of financial metrics
- How one company compares with another over years
- How individual metrics contribute to overall revenue (all the 5 metrics add up to 100)
- What are the most interesting numbers, drastic changes or alarming trends
One way to answer these questions is thru a panel chart. It shows massive data in a concise chart and allows for exploration of inter-relationships.
Made with sparklines.
And of course you can use indexed charts technique to explore the numbers better.
Your challenge – How would you visualize this data?
So here is something fun for you. Visualize this multiple variable data and share your charts.
What’s in it for you?
This is a contest. The two most awesome charts will $100 Amazon Gift Cards.
How to submit your entries:
- Simple. Download the data workbook.
- Create your chart in a new tab.
- Email your files to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Multiple variable challenge”
- Send in your entries before July 4th, 2016 (Monday).
- We will showcase all the entries and pick winners by July 11th.
- You may submit multiple entries, but you can maximum of one gift card.
- No VBA based solutions. Excel or Power BI charts are ok.
- If you cannot accept Amazon gift card (because of where you live), you can opt for $100 cash thru PayPal.
Get busy charting…
15 Responses to “How to visualize multiple variables over several years? [Contest]”
I was the first to reply to the thread on the forum 🙂 Downloaded your workbook & thought it was a cool concept but 2007 can't see sparklines. Wondering if I can just submit the one I already answered in the forum. I'll probably add a bit more flashiness to it though
For Ultratech Cement all values are not adding up-to 100. Check the total of the values in
Cannot wait to see your attempts! :=)
Looking forward for the results.
Yeah... any news on this?
Been wondering the same - fun little challenge.
Chandoo, how about results ?
Any updates , when we can get to see the contest results
Chandoo, did you mean to publish results on July 11th 2017? 🙂
I think a lot of people are keen to see the results that will be "showcased by July 11th".
Can you give us a feedback about expected date to communicate the results of the contest ?
Thank you Chandoo.
Hope all is well. Will the contest winners ever be announced? I know we're all looking for an update, so hoping to hear something soon.
Enjoy your weekend,
Hope all is well also. I am sure you red the comments ; we are all looking for the results ... Or just an answer from you, in a first time. Almost 2 months and no word from your side.
Hi Danish Boy and other participants. I am deeply sorry for the delay in publishing the results. The move to NZ has thrown a wrench to my work and I am slowly getting back to regular schedule. I will be publishing the results next week as everything is already compiled and ready to go.
I'm keen to check out the results from this, has anything been published yet...?