Bring out your bad charts, the ChartBusters are here…
Imagine having two annoying little bloggers looking over your shoulder and trying to mess up with the chart you are making….
I am still waiting, go ahead, imagine…
Now come back, that is exactly what “The Chart DoctorBusters” is all about. It is a new series of posts on PHD and Jon Peltier where we take badly made charts, one at a time and suggest improvements, alternative visualization options and corrective measures.
For a doctor to be really good, he needs to have really sick people. In our case we need bad charts. I mean really bad ones with all those 23 colors or 17 pies or stressful extra grid lines or .. ok, you get the picture.
Here is what you should do:
- Upload your chart or excel workbook to a public site like skydrive.
- Now go to this google docs form and submit your charts
- (alternatively you can tweet us on @r1c1 or @Jon_Peltier)
Here is what Jon and I will do:
Every week we will take one of the really bad charts and post an entire article dissecting the problems and prescribing the treatment. We will take turns, so one week it will be Peltier and next week it will be me. We will also try to comment on each other’s treatment. With some luck, we should get other leading authorities in charting world to come and comment here.
Some rules to keep in mind:
- We are talking about charts here, not complicated dashboards or vibrating visualizations.
- As much as possible try to post the actual data associated with the chart and tell us clearly what you think the chart was trying to achieve.
- Remember, even parapsychologists get psyched.
- Have fun 🙂
My name is Chandoo. Thanks for dropping by. My mission is to make you awesome in Excel & your work. I live in Wellington, New Zealand. When I am not F9ing my formulas, I cycle, cook or play lego with my kids. Know more about me.
Thank you and see you around.
|« Do you know these Double-click Tricks in Excel?||Welcome to Pointy Haired Dilbert »|