CP053: Excel Data Validation for Dummies
In the 53rd session of Chandoo.org podcast, let’s talk about data validation.
What is in this session?
In this podcast,
- What is data validation
- How Excel DV compares with database & software DV?
- Types of data validation rules
- List & custom rules explained
- Input & error messages
- Alternatives to data validation
- Enhancing data validation
- Removing data validation rules
- Homework problem for you
- Resources & show notes
Listen to this session
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Click here to download the MP3 file.
Resources for this podcast
Data validation introduction & examples:
- Excel basics: How to add drop down box data validation rules?
- Either-or condition as validation rule
- Making data validations dynamic
- VLOOKUP + Data validation = magic
- Copy data validations using Paste Special, Remove them with Paste Special
Advanced validation examples:
- Advanced data validation techniques (custom rules)
- Unsorted, duplicate column as source
- Mix conditional formatting with DV for awesome results
Data validation in play – case studies:
Data validation home work – your answer
Did you get the answer for homework? Please post your answers / explanations in the comments section.
My name is Chandoo. Thanks for dropping by. My mission is to make you awesome in Excel & your work. I live in Wellington, New Zealand. When I am not F9ing my formulas, I cycle, cook or play lego with my kids. Know more about me.
I hope you enjoyed this article. Visit Excel for Beginner or Advanced Excel pages to learn more or join my online video class to master Excel.
Thank you and see you around.
Leave a Reply
|« Unpivot and then pivot for clarity (case study)||How to create animated charts in Power Point [VBA] »|
6 Responses to “CP053: Excel Data Validation for Dummies”
Data Validation Homework:
Start time is in cell A1. End time is in cell B1.
Set data validation on cell B1 with custom formula:
Then set the Error Alert tab to a warning with the message "The shift is less than 8 hours or longer than 15 hours. Please validate entry."
This will warn the user, but still allow the entry.
Love the podcast 🙂
Chandoo.. please post the transcript of the podcast as you do always.
Thanks in advance
Nice Article!!! Chandoo Thanks
Hi Chando, Please post the PDF version as well for this Podcast!!
Data Validation Homework:
Start time is in cell B8. End time is in cell C8.
Set data validation on cell C8 with option between:
Start Time: =B8
End Time: =B8+8/24
How Can we use data validation for list for only non black cell