Currency format Pivot fields with one click [Friday VBA]
Anyone who has made a pivot table and their grandma knows that formatting them is a pain. Let’s recap the steps to apply one of the most common formats – currency format.
- Right click on any value field
- Go to Value field settings
- Click on “Number Format” button
- Choose Currency format
- Close the boxes, one after another
Unless you get paid per click, you wont be happy with all those clicks.
Wouldn’t it be cool to just click once and apply most common format to your pivot fields?
So are you ready for the code? Its so tiny, you could type it faster than manually formatting the pivot fields yourself 😉
Sub oneClickCurrency() On Error GoTo GameOver Dim pName As String, pfName As String pName = ActiveCell.PivotTable.Name pfName = ActiveCell.PivotField.Name With ActiveSheet.PivotTables(pName).PivotFields(pfName) .NumberFormat = "$#,##0.00" End With GameOver: End Sub
When copy pasting this code to your personal macros workbook, change the $#,##0.00 format code to any other formatting you want to use. Here are a few more common ones.
- Accounting format (negative values in brackets, no zeros): _($* #,##0.00_);_($* (#,##0.00);_($* “”-“”??_);_(@_)
- Negative amounts in red color: $#,##0.00;[Red]$#,##0.00
- Amounts with no decimals: $#,##0
So there you go. I just save you from a massive tax. Click tax that is.
George Costanzaesque macros for you
Short & fun, that is how I like my macros. Here are a few you should add to your personal macros workbook to save time & get more out of Excel.
- Filter a table by selected criteria
- Add a popup calendar to any cell
- Highlight selected cell’s row & column
- Split text to multiple cells
- More VBA Examples
How do you format your pivots?
For most of my work, I rely on Power Pivot, which allows you to set up format options when defining a measure. But whenever I use pivots, I end up paying click tax for the formatting. Hence the macro.
What about you? How do you format your pivots? You can customize the above macro to include additional steps that you often do (changing layouts etc.) Please share your techniques & thoughts in the comments section.
Leave a Reply
|How to generate all combinations from two separate lists [Pivot Table Trick]||Interactive Decision Tree Visualization in Excel [Trump vs. Hillary in Swing States]|