Splitting a number into integer and decimal portions

Posted on November 22nd, 2010 in Excel Howtos , Learn Excel - 37 comments

Splitting Numbers in to Decimal and Integer Portions using ExcelHere is a quick formula tip to start another awesome week.

Often while working with data, I need to split a number in to integer and decimal portions. Now, there are probably a ton of ways you can do this. But here are two formulas I use quite often and they work well.

Assuming the number is in cell A1,

• Integer part =INT(A1)
  • Decimal part =MOD(A1,1)

These formulas work whenever my data has only positive numbers (which is the case 90% 0f time). But if I am dealing with a mix of positive and negative numbers, I use,

• Integer part =INT(A1) +(A1<0)=TRUNC(A1,0) [thanks to Somnath for suggesting this]
  • Decimal part =MOD(A1,SIGN(A1))

What formulas do you use to process numbers?

I use a lot of formulas while working with numbers. But my favorite ones are MOD, INT, SIGN, ABS, RAND and RANDBETWEEN (new in Excel 2007, requires Analysis toolpak in earlier versions).

What about you? What formulas do you use and how do you process your numbers? Please share using comments.

Learn more quick tips & formula examples.

Do you want to be awesome in Excel?

Free Excel tips book - joining bonus - Chandoo.org newsletter

Here is a smart way to become awesome in Excel. Just signup for my Excel newsletter. Every week you will receive an Excel tip, tutorial, template or example delivered to your inbox. What more, as a joining bonus, I am giving away a 25 page eBook containing 95 Excel tips & tricks. Please sign-up below:

More awesome tips for you:

Tags: , , , , , ,

37 Responses to “Splitting a number into integer and decimal portions”

1. david says:

interested to know about this =INT(A1) +(A1<0)

wat's the purpose of +(A1<0) ?

i traced it and it gave it as TRUE.

@David: Excel treats TRUE as 1 and FALSE as 0. Since INT(negative number) will give a value 1 less than expected, I want to add 1 to it whenever a number is negative and 0 if the number is positive. So the expression (A1<0) will be TRUE or FALSE based on the sign of A1. Now, if you add this to another number, excel converts the TRUE to 1 and FALSE to 0.

Hope that makes sense.

3. sam says:

Number in A1
    For Integers
    In B1
    For Decimal
    In C1

4. Eamon says:

To split numbers (negative or positive) I use =TRUNC(A1,0) then to get the decimal =A1-A2 assuming =TRUNC(A1,0) is in cell A2.

5. Eamon says:

Woops – just saw Sam’s post!

6. Pedro Wave says:

Formulas to split positive decimal numbers are used to separate dates into days and hours.

I like to operate with fractions typed as:
    A1 = 0 5/8
    A2 = 2 1/8
    A3 = A1 + A2 = 2 3/4

7. Shashi says:

One of my friends had a requirement to separate X and Y coefficients from a string received from CAD software.
    The string would look like x123.234y234.56.(X will be always in the first place but Y place is not fixed as it would depend on integer and Decimal places of X co-efficient)
    Here is one of the solutions:
    Cell A1 -> x123.234y234.56
    Enter Cells B1-> =FIND(“x”,A1,1) – to find the place of X in the string -(it will be always 1)
    Enter CellsC1 ->=FIND(“y”,A1,1) – find Place of Y (position depends on X Coeff.)
    Enter Cells D1 -> =MID(A1,B1+1,C1-2) – to get X coeff.
    Enter Cells E1 -> =MID(A1,C1+1,LEN(A1)-C1)

Hope this would be helpful for those who take help of Excel while working on Mechanical design software.

• Karthik KN says:

There is a better and easier way :

Assuming Cell A1 contains : x123.234y234.56

=MID(A1,2,FIND(“y”,A1,1)-2) – Would give you the X value
      =MID(A1,FIND(“y”,A1,1)+1,LEN(A1)-FIND(“y”,A1,1)) – Would give you the Y Value

without much fuss šŸ˜‰

8. Kalyan Chattopadhyay says:

your blog (Splitting a number into integer and decimal portions) on these two formulas helps me a lot to solve a big problem at my office. Really awesome blog. Thanks Chandooo.

Keep it up.

9. Prateek says:

Good, but whts the significance of typing 1(divisior) in case of decimal formula. I typed 2,3…. got the same result….

@Eamon & @Sam: Thanks for the tip on TRUNC(). I did not know about it earlier.

@Pedro: I use it for splitting days and time as well. Also, do you know you can show fractions in excel with custom format code – # ?/?

@Shashi..good tip, thanks for sharing.

@Kalyan: I am so glad you find this tip useful.

@Prateek: The result for 2, 3 will not be same as 1. Check it with multiple values. the fraction portion of a number is nothing but what remains after you remove nearest multiple of 1. (essentially mod(number,1) )

11. Somnath says:

Since =INT(A1)+(A1<0) on a whole negative integer (with no decimal parts) E.g: -7.00 will return -6, I think the TRUNC function is more effective.

12. Raiyan says:

Hi Chandoo…..Can we apply more than one for formula for a cell or a selected range of cell???If we can then how could we…explain with a simple example.

13. Pedro Wave says:

Chandoo, using fraction format “As Hundreds” or custom format – # ?/100, decimal number -12.23 can be represented as -12 23/100.
    This fraction format only split decimal numbers visually, but is awesome to me.

14. Ayan says:

Thanks Sam & Emon for trunc

15. Gaurav Jaswal says:

float a, c, d=0;
    int c
    c= a*10;
    d= d*10 + c;
    a=a*10 – c;

16. humphrey says:

How do I split $84,000 in a 12 month period with july and August having equal amounts? What formula can I use? Thank you.

17. sophie says:

thanks, this helped me a lot with my formula!

18. krish says:

hi ,
    in this number series how to take a total count in excel?

19. John robinson says:

Hi Chandoo, I. Need to know what formula to use if I want the decimal values to add up separately ie 47.6+48.5=95.11. Every time the decimal value exceeds 9, it automatically increases the values left of the decimal. I do not want that. Kindly assist.

20. reza says:

Hi. Thanks for your post.
    I need an formula to change location of decimal and integer digit in a number in excel, like 21.3 => 3.12.

• reza says:

I find a below formula that can use in word
      Using find and replace (Ctrl+H)
      In find filed type this formula
      In replace filed type this formula
      and check Use wildcard and click replace all.

21. james says:

what about these two areas, a number 92.45 , id like to grab part of the numbers from both sides, cant seem to work out how to combine them, e.g. 92.45 I want .45 to be as 45 ( solved as above in a post ) however what about 245 where the first number and the decimals are only looked at . I don’t want he number 9 . also what about 81.7653 , I want to be able to grab only the last 3 digits of the decimal place, so it looks like 653?

any help on truncing this correctly would be good , thanks in advance.

22. GNG says:

A1 cell is having integer part 12.00 and A2 Cell is having decimal part 0.34545. How can we concatenate in B1 Cell as 12.34545.
    Please help me…
    Thanks in Advance

23. 1178200010000920140701101456 says:

Please saparate these number in to different way like –

1178 20001 00009 20140701 101456

24. sunny says:

I have below decimal numbers in excel
    This is basically the total time spent, If i sum up these using the sumation in the excel i got the result as 9.80. But actual sum value is total 11.00 hours.

How can i get this sumation value as per hours and minutes

25. Francisco says:

Sunny, heres what worked for me.
    =SUMPRODUCT(INT(A1:A10)+ MOD(A1:A10;1)/0.6)

26. Eric Guenette says:

The MOD(A1,SIGN(A1)) is good as long as A1 0. If A1 = 0 then you receive a #Div/0!

We could compensate for the possible 0 in your formula but at this point I think the classic way to calculate MOD is easier.
    A1 – TRUNC(A1,0)

It work with positive, 0 and negative.

27. Eric Guenette says:

And if you are to use the MOD function with a different divider:
    MOD(A1, x)

You could use :
    A1 – ( TRUNC(A1/x,0) * x)

28. Jim says:

In a series of numbers, every time the decimal portions (MODs) is equal to or greater than “1”, I want to add that “1” to its integer and continue accumulating the MODs until the next time they equal “1” and repeat.
    Manual Example: