PHD Gets a Facelift (again)
Folks, I have an announcement for you. Our little site, Pointy Haired Dilbert got yet another face lift. Over the weekend, I have made some changes to the site layout and navigation to make it better.
The key changes are,
- On archive pages (that is category, tag and monthly pages) you can see 15 posts per page in a grid fashion. The post title, an image (if any) along with number of comments on that post are shown. This should be an easier way to deep dive in to the site and find interesting stuff to learn. Here are few example pages – quick tips page, Most popular articles on PHD or Charting Principles.
- On Home page, you now see the featured post prominently in a box. It takes less space and stands out from rest.
- The search bar on top is now very obvious. In case you are on PHD and want to find something, just enter the search keywords and let the google find right articles for you.
- The side bar navigation is awesomeified. We now have 3 boxes, one for “excel beginners”, one for “advanced excel” and one for “archives and resources” with less number of links to important landing pages on the site.
- We have an all new books store – that is right fellas, I have created a simple amazon store where you can purchase some of the excel / charting / powerpoint books recommended by me. Check out the store here.
Go take a look at the new site here. Deep dive in to one or two pages.
Please do me a favor
Please take a minute and drop me a comment telling what you think about,
- Site navigation
- Ability to find right information
- How you felt as a new visitor to the site – what turned you on / off?
- How we can make this place better, warmer, fuzzier and awesomer?
Thank you in advance.
My name is Chandoo. Thanks for dropping by. My mission is to make you awesome in Excel & your work. I live in Wellington, New Zealand. When I am not F9ing my formulas, I cycle, cook or play lego with my kids. Know more about me.
I hope you enjoyed this article. Visit Excel for Beginner or Advanced Excel pages to learn more or join my online video class to master Excel.
Thank you and see you around.
Leave a Reply
|« Excel Links of the week [After a long time edition]||What is Excel SUMPRODUCT formula and how to use it? »|
6 Responses to “PHD Gets a Facelift (again)”
Nice clean look.
Like the bookstore.
Would like to see featured post at the bottom, but thats because I look at your site a lot.
No solution for the Google ads?, they ruin your nice site
@Govi Thanks. Regarding Google Ads, they are the necessary to keep the site running and monetized. I suggest using ad blocker if you are not the kind who find them useful. I have tried to keep them to bare minimum - 1 ad on all landing pages and 2 on post pages.
I can live with the ads.
Do they have to be on top of the page or can you decide where they are placed?
I'm just curious.
@Govi.. good point. I have been experimenting with ad positions to find the best possible place with out huge drop in revenue. After some research and experiments, it is clear that the ad on top of page yields best results and lets me take down other units. Since most of our posts are pretty long, ads at the bottom get lower cpc thus lower revenue.
It is fairly common to have an ad on top for almost all content heavy sites (in our network, peltier, debra do this too)
The bottom line is, we have to live this ads for few more weeks before some brilliant get-rich-quick-scheme pops in my head 😀
If I have a brilliant get-rich quick-scheme popping up soon I'll share it with you 😉
Hi, thanks a lot to give us chance to comment
I am not expert but it is Nice & Easy to follow but
** more videos
** more your fantastic tips & tricks
** more shortcuts