We have written about dynamic charts several times before. But I think the technique I am going to show you today beats them all. It is so simple, so easy to set up and so beautiful that I am cursing myself for nothing thinking of it earlier.
First take a look at the dynamic charts in excel demo:
Just follow these 5 steps to create the dynamic chart in excel:
1. Prepare your charts: Make as many charts as you want. Lets say 3.
2. Set up the area where dynamic charts will be loaded: Just take 3 cells in a row and adjust the row height and column width such that the charts can be fit inside snugly. Also, type the chart names (1 for each cell) in the cell. Let us say, the charts you have are for Costs, Sales and Profits, just type these names in the cells.
3. Move and fit charts inside these cells: This should be simple.
4. Finally apply data filter to the cell on top of the 3 cells. Select a filter option and you will see only that chart.
5. Show off your dynamic chart and let people know you kick excel’s butt.
You can see these steps in the dynamic chart tutorial below:
What do you think about this technique?
Which technique you like better? This one or the Dynamic Charts using INDEX() function, Use Data Filters as Chart Filters tips? One issue I can think of with this technique is that, there is no way the filter will tell which chart is selected (as the chart covers the cell text). But this can be overcome with chart titles.