Chart this Sales Data and get an iPod Touch [Visualization Challenge #2]
Update 1: you can make a chart or dashboard or combo chart.
Update 2: Download file changed, fixed an error with dates.
Update 3: We got a sponsor, it is Zoho. Scroll down to see more.
Here is a challenge many people face. How to make a chart visualizing sales data with several dimensions like product, brand, region, sales person name, year (or month or quarter) and one or two values like sales, # of units sold, profits, # of new customers.
In visualization challenge #2, all you have to do is a make one chart (dashboards are ok too) to visualize this sales data effectively.
You have to make one chart (or dashboards) using this data that would help a senior manager understand how the sales people have done in the 24 months. The chart can be dynamic / interactive / macro based. You can use any software (not just excel) to make this chart.
2 more contestants will get a complimentary copy of project management bundle for excel.
The Fineprint, read all of these before you start your engines:
- You can submit any number of entries.
- You are free to change the actual numbers in the data. I just used RANDBETWEEN () to get these values. You can replace them with some other numbers if you want.
- The contest is open from now to 28-Nov-2009.
- Winner will be selected using a poll by our readers.
- There is a second and third prize too. 2 contestants will get one copy of Project Management Templates Set.
- You can use any software, but you must submit the source files (or alteast stuff close to that) so that our readers can download and play with the files.
- International contestants – If Amazon or Apple don’t ship the iPod to your country, we are still cool. You can choose to have some other product that can be bought online and delivered to you, because we are awesome like that.
How to submit entries?
- Download the data and make the chart(s).
- Upload the chart source files, any images to a free online storage service like skydrive.
- Drop a comment here with links to your files.
- Alternatively e-mail the files to me (I am e-mail rustic. So expect few days delay before I upload them somewhere) at chandoo.d @ gmail.com
- Please note: You agree that the files you submit can be freely distributed to readers on PHD for learning purposes.
Contest Sponsored by Zoho Reports
This contest is sponsored by awesome folks at Zoho Reports, Online Reporting and Business Intelligence Service
Please spread the message:
Take a minute and e-mail a friend or tweet about this contest or share this on facebook. The more people participating in this, the better it is for us. We can learn several interesting implementations.
- NY Times visualization of Jobless rate by Age, Race, Education Level and Sex
- Jon Pletier’s tutorial of highlighting one chart series using list boxes
- Budget vs. Actual charts – 14 charting ideas for showing sales performance
Sign-up for our FREE Excel tips newsletter:
Here is a smart way to become awesome in Excel. Just signup for my FREE Excel tips newsletter. Every week you will receive an Excel tip, tutorial, template or example delivered to your inbox. What more, as a joining bonus, I am giving away a 25 page eBook containing 95 Excel tips & tricks. Please sign-up below:
Your email address is safe with us. Our policies
Leave a Reply
|What is Excel SUMPRODUCT formula and how to use it?||Top X chart – Show Top X values of a chart Interactively|