Count the number of unique values in a range [Quick Tip]
Excel Formula to Count Number of Unique Values
Assuming we have a list of values in the range:B5:B15 and we want to know how many unique values are there,
you can write the oh so wonderful sumproduct formula like this:
How this formula works?
COUNTIF(B5:B15,B5:B15) of the formula returns the individual item counts. So in our example range, the values would be:
5,1,2,5,1,1,1,2,5,5,5. When you add up the reciprocals of these values, you will get the count of unique values in the range.
I am leaving that to your imagination.
More unique ways to work with duplicates in your data
My obsession with unique values in excel is known to most of you. It is one topic on which I have posted alot. Here is a list of most useful techniques to work with duplicate values in your data.
- Getting unique items using data filter and formulas
- Use advanced data filters to find unique items
- Eliminate Duplicate Entries in a List using Formulas
- Get Unique items using Excel 2007 built in features
- Use pivot tables to get unique values from a range of cells
- Excel Remove Duplicates – Video Tutorial
- Find out if a list has duplicate values using Array formulas
- COUNTIF Excel Formula tutorial
- Learn cool uses of countif and sumif
- More exciting countif examples – Includes stuff like sorting text using formulas…
If you are an Excel Formula Stud …
Take part in our twitter formula contest. All you need to do is send a tweet with a formula tip to @r1c1. We have prizes worth $230 for grabs. More details here.
Leave a Reply
|Excel Time Sheets and Resource Management [Project Management using Excel – Part 4 of 6]||What would you do if a co-worker makes ugly chart? [weekend poll]|