Sorting values in Olympic Medal Table style [Quick Tip]
It is Olympic season. Everyone I know is tracking the games and checking their country’s performance. One thing that we notice when looking at medal tally is,
A single Gold medal is worth more than any number of Silver medals. Like wise, a single Silver medal is worth more than any number of Bronze medals.
So, when you look at the ranking of countries, you see countries with single Gold medal higher up than countries with lots of Silver and Bronze medals (but no Gold).
So how do we sort our data in Olympic medal table style?
It is simpler than it looks. All you have to do is use custom sort feature in Excel.
- Select your data
- Go to Home > Sort & Filter > Custom Sort
- Now specify the sort levels and sort orders.
- Click ok and you are done!
What if your version of Excel does not have Custom Sort
Well, there is a work around. Add an extra column in your data and calculate sort order using a formula, as shown below.
Once you calculate sort order, sort on this column in descending order and you are done.
Do you use custom sort?
Custom sorting is very useful when you 2-3 levels in your data. For example, sorting all projects by department & % completed or sorting all products by region & sales volume. I use it often to understand how my data is.
What about you? Do you use custom sort? What is your experience like? Please share your tips & thoughts using comments.
More Quick Tips on Sorting & Filtering
If you find yourself constantly sorting and filtering, then check out below tips. I am sure you will learn something new.
- Custom sorting in Pivot tables
- Which formula to use to check if a list is sorted?
- Formula 1 style sorting in Excel
- How to round and then sort data in Excel
- Sorting text values using formulas!
- Shuffling a list in random order in Excel
- How to sort across columns (ie change sort orientation)
- Filtering values using advanced filters
- How to filter odd or even rows only?
- Right click to filter fast…
Leave a Reply
|Excel Salary Survey Dashboards – Choose the winner [poll]||Formula Forensics No. 026 – Highlight Only Duplicate Entries|