Introducing Spreadcheats – Become Supergood with Excel in 30 days

Posted on October 31st, 2008 in blogging , Learn Excel - 11 comments

spreadcheats-excel-spreadsheet-productivity-tipsStarting next week, PHD is going to feature a 30 post series on spreadcheats. The purpose of these posts is to make day to day spreadsheeting a breeze. Each post will be less than 200 words in size and aspires to make your day at office a little bit more productive.

I have already identified around 25 simple topics for discussing like: relative vs. absolute reference in functions, chart formatting, printing and sharing workbooks etc.  But please feel free to drop your suggestions on what you would like to know. I like learning and sharing new stuff and your requests can motivate me to do that.

All the posts in this series will be tagged with “spreadcheats“. Once the series has a meaningful number of posts, I will create a seperate page where you can get all the links and discussion in one place.

Watch out for the first installment on next week. 🙂

Tags: , , ,

11 Responses to “Introducing Spreadcheats – Become Supergood with Excel in 30 days”

1. AlexJ says:

Chandoo,
    Topics that come to mind include:
    Conditional Formating
    Data Validation
    Use of the OFFSET function
    How to make a valid data list
    Basic pivot tables

2. Robert says:

Chandoo,

I think this will be quite a challenge: "supergood in Excel in 30 days". I am looking forward to the series.

A few more ideas:

- selection of the most powerful functions: OFFSET (as Alex already said) the LOOKUPs, MATCH, INDEX, SUMPRODUCT, SUMIF, COUNTIF, SMALL, LARGE, INDIRECT, etc.

- Array formulas

- Autofilter, special filter and SUBTOTAL

- Custom number formats

- Use of form controls

- Keyboard shortcuts

- Customizing the toolbar(s)

- Trendlines for charts

- Solver

- Error handling in formulas

- Range names

- the must-have add-ins (Power Utility Pak, Name Manager, etc.)

3. CraigM says:

Chandoo,
    Date sorting intricacies - by week, month, quarter, year, etc independent of format

4. Ketan says:

Dear,

Following topics are very useful :
    Solver
    Goal Seek
    Scenario
    List
    Query writing
    ABC of Visual Basic(for layman)

5. Denise says:

Mr PHD - I also struggle big time with OFFSET - I know that it is a mighty fine function - If only I could get to grips with it!

Another function - INDEX. Can you try to cover this as well please.

Many thanks Mr Chandoo
    Denise

6. Cheryl says:

I am really looking forward to this! I also would like to see some fundamental Visual Basic info. Are you going to be doing this in '07 or '03?
    BTW, I just learned a new keyboard shortcut and I can't believe it took me this long to find it -- shift F11 for a new sheet.

7. nixnut says:

Are you aware that juiceanalytics also did something in this area some time ago? See http://www.juiceanalytics.com/writing/excel-training-worksheet/

regards,
    nixnut

8. BDA says:

Hey,

Sounds interesting and am waiting for the updates 🙂

9. chandoo says:

@All: thanks so much for the suggestions. It is nice to know that you are eager to make me learn and share all these ideas.

Few clarifications:
    - all of these would be based on excel 2003 (dont worry, most of them may work with 2007)
    - the intention is to share simple answers to day to day excel problems that I have learned the hard way
    - SInce the posts are going to be bite sized (200 words max) I wont be able to learn or share some of the more complex excel spreadcheat suggestions you have given like : array formulas, form controls or solver etc. But let me understand some of these things in depth and write a bigger post whenever I can.

Thanks once again. Let us use this thread to post any suggestions you may have. 🙂

10. Bruno@Brazil says:

Chandoo, nice idea you had!

I'm interested in these topics that had been already suggested. But I'd like also to suggest you to comment something about tips for saving a worksheet in smaller files. Several times we need to send a worksheet by e-mail, but my worksheets get only bigger and bigger. Internet gets faster every day, but some people complain if they have to open a 10 Mb attachment... I don't know if it's related with the way I use formulas, I'd like to hear something about it from you.

11. Robert says:

Bruno@Brazil,

ozgrid provides several methods that might help you: