7 responses

1. Jon Peltier
    October 29, 2009

If you have many series, you could split the chart into multiple panels, as in the example in How to Build a Simple Panel Chart.

2. Ross
    October 29, 2009

Hi Guys,

Should this chart be a table…

3. AoverT
    October 29, 2009

Nice post. You’ll find interaction charts are used a lot in the biomedical sciences to show when changes in particular outcomes, let’s say the effect of a drug, are dependent on other factors, for example age or sex.
    Jon, I absolutely agree that panels make for a really time efficient and data rich method for visualising interactions across many variables.
    Ross, I’m not sure about a table beingt he best option. To me, the chart would help the reader understand the nature of the interaction much better than a table. A table with a sparklines/microcharts may be even better. I suppose it comes down to what question you’re answering with the chart. Are you more interested in the exact figures (in which case I totally agree with you) or is the main story the interaction (in which case I’d go with the charts or table with sparklines).

4. Chandoo
    November 3, 2009

@Jon.. good suggestion.

@Ross: yeah, you can make a table, As AoverT pointed out, tables lack visual appeal, so chart might more effective to prove a point.

@AoverT: Very good remarks. Thanks for sharing your experience.

5. Chris
    November 13, 2009

Chandoo,

you wouldnt’ know how to do that version of interaction chart easily in excel
    Do I miss sth or is it really necessary to fake the axis through dummy series? i’m not seeing the forrest for the trees right now

• Chandoo
      November 13, 2009

@Chris… I think you have to fake the axis thru dummy series. Good link btw.

6. Harish Negi
    October 18, 2016

Oh, it is cool information. Will try it. thanks