• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

3d Maze in Excel

Jordan

So I developed this 3d maze in Excel. (Ok, I guess it's not true 3d.)

maze1.gif

I'm writing about it (and Excel game development in general) with Cary Walkin (he developed the Excel Game, Arena.xlsm, very recently). If you really feel like it, you can read the tutorials, here: http://carywalkin.ca/tag/maze/

(the tutorials are also hosted on my blog in case you like reading the same thing but in a different font)

The tutorials aren't yet complete as you'll see. But I'll let you in on the secret of how I developed the 3d-ish part. The maze is actually just a stacked area graph. And the "map" is just conditional formatting with the help of the distance formula.

Anyway, I'm wondering if you have any feedback - good or bad. I'd love to hear your thoughts. The maze workbook is enclosed.

Attachments

• Maze Example.xlsm
    112.8 KB · Views: 59
I don't have any suggestion or point for improvement. So not sure how much value add this comment would be. But I think it's pure genius, and fine talent. I wouldn't dream about wracking my brain to this extent (it'd certainly short-circuit)!. Simply amazing.

Hi, Jordan!
Nice to read you again. And much more happy finding something alike. Malhereusement I'm not going to play with it until Thursday, but I'm in love with it yet.
Congratulations, buddy.
Regards!

Wow..
wish you more fame.. nice to see you to cross your own benchmark of "MouseOverHyperlink" technique..

thanks for the congratulations, friends. but I would be no where if chandoo.org and this forum did not exist.

I was thinking about making this into a mini game...perhaps a quest to find Chandoo's hair?

This is amazing stuff Jordan. I am looking for rest of the episodes.

PS: Don't look in a maze for my hair. You can come to my office, there are thousands of strands all over the floor :)

This is awesome! I'm learning a ton just by looking at the file.

I don't even want to say this, because I love it so much, but the only thing that bugged me was how side hallways don't show the floor.
edit1.PNG

I did some tweaking and ended up with something like this...

edit2.PNG

Instead of plotting the floor as a single series, I broke it into pieces just like the walls.
It is nowhere near perfect; there are a few places where the gradient messes up.
Maybe it will help someone come up with a more elegant solution.

Thanks again for the excellent maze!

Attachments

• maze-example-pw1 edit.xlsm
    118.2 KB · Views: 10
This is awesome! I'm learning a ton just by looking at the file.

I don't even want to say this, because I love it so much, but the only thing that bugged me was how side hallways don't show the floor.
View attachment 2388

I did some tweaking and ended up with something like this...

View attachment 2389

Instead of plotting the floor as a single series, I broke it into pieces just like the walls.
It is nowhere near perfect; there are a few places where the gradient messes up.
Maybe it will help someone come up with a more elegant solution.

Thanks again for the excellent maze!

I'm glad you like it! I downloaded your file and it looks great - however, the display of some of the pathways is not working correctly. For instance, if you pick a hallway that dead ends but has another path behind it, as you approach the hallway's end it will momentarily disappear and show the path behind it. Tobediff, if you can address this problem, I'll be happy to post your update up on my blog with your name on the list.

As for the gradients that don't always line up, I kinda like them. They look like their reflecting the hallways.

Jordan, I think I have solved the problem you were talking about. It seems that one series was missing from the graph. Let me know if it is ok.

A couple other changes:
- The wall height, wall angle, and floor angle are now editable on the "Calc" sheet.
- Some visual changes.
The Maze.PNG

I have Excel 2013, so to anyone who has a difference version, please try it out!

Attachments

• The Maze.xlsm
    121.2 KB · Views: 10
Update! Navigate the Dank Dungeon in search of the mystical golden functions.
Changes:
- Observation box: Text based adventure goodness!
- Action button: Do stuff!
- Multiple floors! (2, to be precise)
- Increased difficulty! (decreased player vision radius on the map)
- A tear-jerking, heart moving ending!*
- Easter eggs!

Looking for a few brave souls to test it out. Sign up today!**

the maze.PNG

*we do not guarantee that the ending will make you cry or move your heart
**By volunteering, you waive all rights to hold the developers and/or Chandoo.org responsible for any loss of limb, sanity or hair

Attachments

• The Maze.xlsm
    126.1 KB · Views: 6
Update!
- Difficulty increased with the addition of the Stamina Meter. Can you find the treasure before you faint from exhaustion? Find and eat apples to restore stamina, but beware of traps!
- New actions!
the maze.PNG

Attachments

• The Maze.xlsm
    133.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
@tobediff This is super, super AMAZING. Are you sure you don't have an email or linkedin/facebook profile you want to include? I want to make sure you get your due credit as I hand this out to others.

@Jordan
I'm humbled that you like it! You did the hard part; I just slapped some formatting and data tables together.
As far as credit, I'm a little too shy to share Facebook stuff, but I would appreciate it if you could include my tumblr: tobediff.tumblr.com

Back