• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

chess notations

Is there a way to use excel to convert chess notations from one form to another. For example,

Algebraic form: e4 e5

Descriptive form: P-K4 P-K4

Spanish Descriptive form: P-4R P-4R

are chess notations. Is there a way to use excel to replace one form to another?

Thanks

Hi, joharmenezes!

First of all welcome to Chandoo's website Excel forums. Thank you for your joining us and glad to have you here.

As a starting point I'd recommend you to read the three first green sticky topics at this forums main page. There you'll find general guidelines about how this site and community operates (introducing yourself, posting files, netiquette rules, and so on).

Among them you're prompted to perform searches within this site before posting, because maybe your question had been answered yet.

Feel free to play with different keywords so as to be led thru a wide variety of articles and posts, and if you don't find anything that solves your problem or guides you towards a solution, you'll always be welcome back here. Tell us what you've done, consider uploading a sample file as recommended, and somebody surely will read your post and help you.

And about your question...

If you haven't performed yet the search herein, try going to the topmost right zone of this page (Custom Search), type the keywords "chess notation" and press Search button. You'd retrieve a link from this website, maybe you find useful information and even the solution. If not please advise so as people who read it could get back to you as soon as possible.

http://chandoo.org/wp/2012/02/21/formula-forensics-013-on-vacation/

In the web you may find other entries too, like:

http://pedrowave.blogspot.com.ar/2012/02/data-conversion-1-chess-viewer-in-excel.html

Regards!

PS: BTW, I've done such a thing long time ago, 2001 I think, but it's sleeping in my second older notebook... that must be... somewhere!

Wow dude! this chess viewer is just fantastic. I didn't bother to search cuz I thought no one would think of something so weird to use excel for. However I am not sure if it answers my question. I'll first check it out and get back to u. Anyway thanks for the reply.

joharmenezes, I'm glad you enjoy my chess viewer.

I'm glad you enjoy my chess viewer. Someone told me I'm crazy but I'm really happy to try Excel formulas that help chess lovers.

Regards!

PS: SirJB7, thanks for promoting my chess viewer in this forum.

hey pedro your excel sheet was great but I think it doesn't answer my question. Let me again explain it to you. Suppose I have some chess moves in algebraic form which I want to convert to Descriptive or Spanish Descriptive/ Algebraic forms or the other way around, is it possible to do so using your excel? Descriptive chess notations are very different from algebraic ones (you can find more info on them in wikipedia). I tried searching online for other software to convert chess notations from one form to another but unfortunately there isn't any. I think it will be a real challenge to make such an excel sheet. I hope Pedro u can work out something. All the best!

Hi joharmenezes, descriptive notation was used in Europe until it was superseded by abbreviated algebraic notation that I use in my chess viewer that allows us to translate algebraic notation between 50 languages, English and Spanish included.

Currently I have no plans to include descriptive notation in my chess viewer. Conversion between notations is relatively simple in Excel, both as formulas as VBA, you just have to dedicate time and effort. Someday I'll try do it if someone doesn't it before.

Now I'm working on a chessboard in which two players can play, made only with iterative formulas in Excel without macros.

Stay tuned!

@pedrowave

Hi!

You're welcome, Pedro. Otherwise I'd have tried to find my old notebook, turn it on (it has XP if I don't remember wrong), and blah, blah, blah... :)

Regards!

Back