• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Updated Post - Please Read

@Hui

Hi!

Those captchas aren't hard to break, I'm thinking of those like ReCaptcha or any other php made at home with unreadable and distorted images.

Regards!

PS: BTW, the actual one is even easier.

The big challenge is we are using an outdated version of forum software. We cant update it as the developers abandoned bbpress almost 2 years ago.

Adding any features like recaptcha has to be done by messing with old, unmaintained PHP code. That is why I am hesitant to do it.

When I asked my developer, his suggestion is simple.

• Set up a new wordpress blog
  • Move forum to a newer version of software that runs as part of wordpress
    Migrate all old discussions there.
    close down the old version and redirect users

This new version offers good security, spam protection and continues to behave just like the one we are used it.

But since it is a big change and often can cause downtimes and data loss, I have not yet made my mind.

What do you guys think?

The big challenge is we are using an outdated version of forum software. We cant update it as the developers abandoned bbpress almost 2 years ago.

+1

Definitely need a change...and if you are changing...please have a thanks or like or +1 added to it....please I beg :(

@ Chandoo

"But since it is a big change and often can cause downtimes and data loss, I have not yet made my mind."....but you just had a lovely break in America..you should be all rested up and raring to go. :)

Sir, I am no way expert in this, my request will be, can we continue with the current format only.

I have seen some of the other forums, but no one is simple or better than Chandoo.

After a while all the gizmos looks cluttered.

Have a nice day to all.

Hi Purna ,

I am completely in agreement with Sachin.

What are we talking about here ?

1. Users should be able to post questions.

2. Other users ( Ninjas or not ) should be able to answer posted questions.

3. All users should be able to search for answers based on keywords.

I do not know where others think this forum is falling short in the above 3 aspects ; as far as I know , all three requirements are being fulfilled.

Improvements are always expected , and possible , but if the changes are going to be incremental changes , I would think twice.

My suggestion is that we take a hard and long look at this forum , and its counterparts ; I can think of MrExcel , Ozgrid , StackOverflow , VbaExpress ; others may add more such sites ; can we list at least one or two aspects of these sites which are good , and which this forum does not have at present ?

Once this shopping list is ready , you can decide which of the items can be implemented without moving away from the bbPress
platform , and see how soon these can be done.

Narayan

Back