• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Reference Tab in Vlookup from list

Lauren Thomas

Hello,

I am currently using the below formula to look up the information I require from my master file.

=VLOOKUP(A4,'[FR Income & Expenditure.xlsx]FR'!$A$5:$H$15,2,FALSE)

As you can see the information is retrieved from the 'FR' tab.

The problem I have is that the data on my master file is likely to move and be placed onto different tabs.

I therefore thought that if I can amend the formula in column E each time I move data on the master file then I would only need to update column E instead of all of the formulae. I want to amend the vlookup to retrieve the data from whichever tab I reference in column E.
upload_2018-2-15_10-12-48.png

upload_2018-2-15_10-13-17.png

Do you know if this can be done?

Thank you
Lauren

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-15_10-11-48.png
    upload_2018-2-15_10-11-48.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Book1.xlsx
    16.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Book1.xlsx
    16.4 KB · Views: 2
either
=VLOOKUP(A4, INDIRECT(E4&"!$A$5:$H$15"),2,FALSE)
or
=VLOOKUP(A4, INDIRECT("'[FR Income & Expenditure.xlsx]" & E4 & "'!$A$5:$H$15"), 2, FALSE)

FYI - Indirect can't be used on closed workbook. On open workbook, Hui's formula works. Make sure you have copied the formula exactly.

If you need to keep the referenced workbook closed... Depending on version of Excel, you may try other options.

1. PowerQuery - If you have access to it, easiest to use and maintain. UI is by far best out of all options.

2. MS Query - While UI is outdated and you need to know some SQL, this tool is available in most versions of Excel currently in use.

3. VBA (ADO) - Requires knowledge of VBA, ADO, SQL and array object etc. Most flexible if you know what you are doing, but most difficult to manage if you don't. No UI except for coding.

4. VBA (Formula) - Construct formula string via VBA. Using tab/sheet name as variable.

etc.

Back