• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Pasting pictures

DonS

I regularly capture screen shots in "Paint", select a portion of it and paste it into my Excel spreadsheet. The trouble I'm having with the 2007 and 2010 versions is that regardless of which cell in the spreadsheet I am working at, it always pastes into cell A1. (In Excel 2003 it pasted at the highlighted cell). I'm hoping there is some way to get it to paste into the highlighted cell, to save me having to go back to A1 and drag it down to where I want it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Don.

Don

Thats interesting

If you PrintScreen the whole screen it will paste at your current cell location

If you Copy/Paste out of Corel Photo-Paint it goes to your current cell location

If you Copy/Paste out of Quicktime it goes to your current cell location

If you Copy/Paste an image out of Firefox it goes to your current cell location

If you Copy/Paste out of Paint it goes to A1?

Solution:

If you Copy out of Paint and Paste Special as a Picture Enhanced Metafile or a Bitmap it goes to your current cell location

This could probably be fixed with a registry mod, anyone ?

I dunno. I'm guessing he's using one of those ghetto screen cap programs like snag it. that thing is so bloated, and simply things like pasting in MSO get screwed up in a hurry.

Protip: Use Greenshot! http://getgreenshot.org/

Thanks all for your responses. I appreciate them. To be more specific, I use an in-house factory planning program open to display some work schedules. I then do some further analysis using Microsoft Excel. I find it helpful, for future reference, to capture the output of the planning program. So I click 'Print screen' to capture the screen shot. I then go into Programs-Accessories and open Microsoft Paint Version 5.1. I go Ctrl+V to paste the entire screen shot. In Paint, I then select the area I want to capture, Ctrl+C and in my Excel 2007 spreadsheet go Ctrl+V. Each time, it pastes with the top left hand corner in the home (cell A1) position, meaning I have to scroll back to the top and drag it down. It would be great if it pasted roughly to the cell I had highlighted at the time.

Hope this answers the questions.

Thanks again,

Don

Don

Have you tried pasting directly into Excel

You can crop and scale in Excel by Selecting the Picture and goto the Format tab

Did you try Paste Special as I described above?

Hi Don,

Also, try capturing the screenshot using Alt+PrintScrn. This only captures the active application.

Hi Hui,

I my enthusiasm to answer the questions, I overlooked your suggestion. The thing to do is the Paste Special - Bitmap Image Object. Success!!

Many thanks to you, dan_I and VaraK who took time to respond.

Don.

I do this type of thing quite often and find that the Snipping Tool in Start>All Programs>Accessories>Snipping Tool does the job, pastes selective screenshot into current cell in excel. Using Vista

Back