• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Naming alternate rows

Ruba

i have dumped a good number of questions and answers in Excel. If A2 has the question, A3 has the answer. left a row empty A4, and then followed the same pattern of questions from A5 and went on. now if i want to label the questions as 1 and 2 etc starting with A1.how can i do it?

i tried sorting it, so that all the blank rows between the questions are shown and then tried to fill it with the list of numbers that i copied from a different sheet. but it does not show 1, 2, 3 etc only in the sorted blank rows instead it goes by the cells..counting also, the number of cells that are hidden after sorting. Manually doing it would take a lot of time. so pls suggest.

hope my question is clear.. else i'd explain again. thank you.

Insert a Column to the left of A

In A1 enter

=IF(B1="","Q"&INT((ROW()+3)/3)&".",B1)

Copy to the end of your data

Copy and Paste as values Column A

Delete Column B

column/row A

2 What is your name?

3 A. eena

4 B. meena

5 C. teena

6 D. deena

8 what is your pet's name?

9 A. Ivan

10 B.Divan

11 C.Shivan

12 D.Vivan

14 What is your age?

15 A. 25

16 B. 30

17 C. 40

18 D. 50

This is the example. i wanted to give 'Question 1', 'Question 2' etc in the cells A7 and A13. i could not achieve it with your answer. pls help me further. thanks.

Insert a Column to the left of A

in

A1: =IF(B1="","Question "&COUNTIF($B$1:B1,"")&".",B1)

Copy A1 down to the end of your data

Copy and Paste as Values over itself Column A

Delete Column B

ps: Your data doesn't match your description as per your first question.

You truly Amazed me Hui. I am dumbstruck at ur excellence. U r just Awesome. i am so happy looking at the results. more than happy i was surprised as to the wonders of Excel.

and yes i admit my question in the first instance wasnt clear.

thanks again so so so much.

Back