• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Named Range question

DJ

Hi All,

I was trying to create a demo for my friend to help him understand creating dependent lists. While doing so I noticed a strange scenario which is I am mentioning below....please help me understand why this happens.

I entered sub-category names in column-A (Gold,Silver,Diamond,Fire,Water,Air,Red,White,Blue) from A2:A10.
Similarly, Category names in Column-B (A,A,A,B,B,B,C,C,C) in B2:B10

In the Name Manager Dialog box, when I specify Range (A2:A4) and name it "A", it accept this name......when I specify Range (A5:A7) and name it "B", it accepts this name it but when I specify Range(A8:A10) and try to name it like "C", excel doesn't allow me to use this name.

I tried to type "C" in the NameBox and it selects the entire column of the ActiveCell. Similarly if I type "R" in the NameBox it selects the entire Row of the activecell.

So it seems that excel by default use "C" for the entire Column and "R" for the entire Row for the active cell. But I am unable to understand its usage.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks bosco_yip for the info. This means that that I can type "C"/"R" in NameBox instead of keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Space or Shift+Space to select entire Column/Row. There is no further application of these 2 default names. Right?

You cannot use c, C, r or R as a Name

In some older versions there were also some restrictions in that in 2007 for example you couldn't use the Keyword Chart as a name or even part of a Name eg: HuisChart was allowed but it wasn't parsed properly in Excel.

I find it strange that you are allowed to use single letters, since all of them refer to a standard column name. :confused:

That isn't the clash

The clash comes from the use of R1C1 notation in formulas

eg: If you are in B2: =R2C5 refers to E2

Last edited:
Back