• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Multi VLookup, with an if condition

Angelique_C

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if this is possible: I want to use VLookup to fill a range in a worksheet (about 9000 rows, so want to use a formula) - there are multiple conditions, which is fine - I'm working with Chandoo's post about Multi Condition VLookups using Choose - A really great tip - however, I also need to add an if statement to the Multi VLookup formula - i.e - if a N2 contains "condition A", and F2 is >= R2 but <= S2, then use D2, else "" .....

Can anyone help with this? Thanks in advance...

Angelique

Firstly, Welcome to the Chandoo.org Forums

Can you please post a sample file with an example

Sorry Hui, I've uploaded a file - sheet 1 contains customer information, sheet 2 contains Event types and room allocations. I need to do a vlookup to insert customer room allocations into Column E in Sheet 1. Sheet 2 is a lookup table, containing the rooms allocated to events, with customer alpha sort information and the group type. If a customer is attending an event type in a regular group type, and their alpha sort id is between the "from CuAlpha ID" and the "To CuAlpha ID", then they will be in room x. If they are attending an event type in an individual group, then their room number is x, If they are attending an event type in a small group, and their CuAlpha ID is one of, then they will be in room x ...

Thank you for any help you can give... :)

Sorry Again, hopefully the file is here now?!

Attachments

• Book1 - Demo.xlsx
    49.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Book1 - Demo.xlsx
    49.7 KB · Views: 3
Hi ,

The upload is fine , but the logic is not clear.

1. Which column value in Sheet1 is to be used for the lookup ?

2. Which column in Sheet2 is to be used for the lookup ?

3. What is the additional logic that is to be implemented ?

Unless everything is specified explicitly , comprehensively , clearly , any formula that is suggested may work , but may not cover all cases , and some time in the future , may fail.

Narayan

Thanks Narayan, sorry again, I was rushing to create an example, which on reflection is not set up very well as an example - For the lookup, I will concatinate columns that contain Event Level, Event Type, Group type and Customer alpha ID in both sheets and add the result as column A in each sheet.

Remember Angelique that you know your problem and industry
We don’t
The better informstion you give us the quicker we will respond and the more accurate our response

Thanks for the advice Hui & sorry to run you both around - I guess I'm just asking if it's possible to build a conditional if statement/s into a vLookup or an index/match formula - or is there a better way to approach matching muliiple values which then have conditional factors also?

Yes, It's possible
But the best way to get a result is to explain what your trying to do with your data, don't ssay i want to do a VLookup with a Conditional If because we may have a better way to get the answer

So explain it in plain english, eg: In cell C3 on Sheet2, I want to lookup a value in Column X On sheet 1 when this and this and this happen

we will workout the best way/s to achieve that

Back