• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How can I average the last 30 entries by date?

geordie

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting and I'm a bit of a newbie to excel but am learning so much from your excellent site.

I have a list as below:

A B C D E F G H

Ref Type Project Manager Customer Name Assigned date Go Live Status TTD

790 Move VF-UKEvansS8 Juice Telecoms Ltd - Office Move 13/10/2011 25/10/2011 Complete 9

779 New vf-ukborthwicka Accelerate Cleaning Solutions Ltd 03/10/2011 01/11/2011 Complete 21

I am trying to average the TTD in column H only for those with a type New in column B and only the most recent 30 using the go live dates in column F.

I have tried various things from the posts I have read but am not getting anywhere. I would be really grateful for any help you can give me on this.

Regards Geordie

The simplest way that I can think of would be to sort by Column B then Column E and, in some cell, apply the average formula for the thirty most recent "New" projects..

This accomplishes your goal, but if this is something you will need to do on a constant basis then we will have to go about it a different way.

Hi Geordie ,

Can you check out the following formula in the post whose link is given below ?

=OFFSET(Sheet2!$J$8,0,COUNTA(Sheet2!$J$8:$AG$8)-13,1,13)

http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/using-counta-and-offset-formulas-for-13-month-dynamic-graphs

The number 13 used in the formula is used to get the 13 most recent entries ; in your case it would be 30.

You need to clarify whether the 30 most recent entries are only the 30 which are in the bottom-most 30 cells of your data column , or are they 30 entries in date-wise order ?

Narayan

Hi, thanks for both of your replies. I would like to do it with a formulae but what I can't get my head around is how to get the last 30 entries by date as they don't come in date order (unfortunately). Any ideas?

Geordie

This should do it:

=SUMPRODUCT((B3:B100="New")*(F3:F100>LARGE(F3:F100,31))*(H3:H100))/SUMPRODUCT((B3:B100="New")*(F3:F100>=LARGE(F3:F100,30)))

Change the Range 100 to suit your data

Note that the top 30 is found by > LARGE(F3:F100,31)

Not >= Large 30 in case there are multiple entries equal to the value of the 30th entry

Hi Hui, thanks for the post. Really appreciate it. But...

Your formulae brings back a result but what it is doing is taking the top 30 entries by date (good so far) then filtering out the non "New"s and averaging what is left. Any ideas?

Back