• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

File Save Problem

Hello,

I have a large file that normally works well, but sometimes I cannot save it. It's a random event. I can open the file and work in it as normal, but not save it, not even Save As to another name or location. A dialog box appears when this occurs, Document Not Saved. I have two computers, and it makes no difference which one I use; same issue. However, when I send the file to a colleague, he can open and save the file to a new name and send it back to me, and it works fine for a while--and then the File Save operation doesn't work once again at unpredictable times.

I am thinking that there might be a local setting I'm using that my colleague is not using and that this setting is interfering with the Save operation. I did notice that the file recalculates upon saving, although I don't need it to do this because it's on automatic calculation anyway. Or maybe it has something to do with Trusted Locations or something.

Any ideas?

Paul

GraH - Guido

Does that file happen to be on a file server? The only times I was confronted with a similar situation, the file was on a file server and during I was working on the file, the connection to the file server got interrupted (at least that is my guess on the cause and I suspect something goes wrong with the temp ghost file).

Does that file happen to be on a file server? The only times I was confronted with a similar situation, the file was on a file server and during I was working on the file, the connection to the file server got interrupted (at least that is my guess on the cause and I suspect something goes wrong with the temp ghost file).
I'm using OneDrive, but if I try to save to my local hard drive, the same thing happens.

I wonder if it's connected to another problem--sometimes it takes a very long time to save. It gets hung up. I either wait it out or I close down the file and open the last saved copy. This can happen when I make a lot of changes to the file. There is also a problem with Undo--it can take a lot of time and really slow things down.

R

Rickbale

Quick resolution
Try the following options to help recover your document.

Option 1
  • Save the workbook by using a new file name
  • On the File menu, select Save As.
  • Save the Excel workbook by using a unique file name.
Option 2
  • Move the original worksheets to a new workbook
  • Add a filler worksheet to your workbook. To do this, press Shift + F11.
  • Group all the worksheets (except the filler). To do this, select the first sheet, hold the Shift key, and then select the last sheet.
  • Right-select the grouped sheets, and then select Move or copy.
  • In the To Book list, select (New Book).
  • Select OK.
Option 3
  • Save the file as a different Excel file type
  • In the Save as Type list, select a file format other than the current file format. If you are using Microsoft Excel 2007 or a later version, save the file as .xlsx or .xlsm instead of as .xls.
Option 4
  • Try to save the workbook to another location
  • Try saving your notebook to another location, such as a local hard drive, a network drive, or removable drive.
Option 5
  • Try to save a new workbook to the original location
  • Create an Excel workbook.
  • In the Save As dialog box, follow these steps:
  • In the Save in box, select the location in which the original workbook is saved.
  • In the File name box, type a name for the new file.
  • Select Save.
Regards,
Rick Bale

vletm

Excel Ninja
Rickbale
Just a questions ... Did You read previous reply's the last sentence? ( I copied it below )
I deleted them and everything appears to be fine now.

B

benmartin9920

I think what you can do to fix this error is, save your data in a new Excel document or discard the changes and repair the original document. To save changes you made to your document, copy the worksheets you changed to a new Excel document and save it.
Check whether this works or not.

Ben Martin

Third-party add-ins turned out to be causing problems. I deleted them and everything works well now. I would've never thought to look there for the solution.