• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

File Save Problem

Hello,

I have a large file that normally works well, but sometimes I cannot save it. It's a random event. I can open the file and work in it as normal, but not save it, not even Save As to another name or location. A dialog box appears when this occurs, Document Not Saved. I have two computers, and it makes no difference which one I use; same issue. However, when I send the file to a colleague, he can open and save the file to a new name and send it back to me, and it works fine for a while--and then the File Save operation doesn't work once again at unpredictable times.

I am thinking that there might be a local setting I'm using that my colleague is not using and that this setting is interfering with the Save operation. I did notice that the file recalculates upon saving, although I don't need it to do this because it's on automatic calculation anyway. Or maybe it has something to do with Trusted Locations or something.

Any ideas?

Paul

Does that file happen to be on a file server? The only times I was confronted with a similar situation, the file was on a file server and during I was working on the file, the connection to the file server got interrupted (at least that is my guess on the cause and I suspect something goes wrong with the temp ghost file).

Does that file happen to be on a file server? The only times I was confronted with a similar situation, the file was on a file server and during I was working on the file, the connection to the file server got interrupted (at least that is my guess on the cause and I suspect something goes wrong with the temp ghost file).
I'm using OneDrive, but if I try to save to my local hard drive, the same thing happens.

I wonder if it's connected to another problem--sometimes it takes a very long time to save. It gets hung up. I either wait it out or I close down the file and open the last saved copy. This can happen when I make a lot of changes to the file. There is also a problem with Undo--it can take a lot of time and really slow things down.

Quick resolution
Try the following options to help recover your document.

Option 1
  • Save the workbook by using a new file name
  • On the File menu, select Save As.
  • Save the Excel workbook by using a unique file name.

Option 2
  • Move the original worksheets to a new workbook
  • Add a filler worksheet to your workbook. To do this, press Shift + F11.
  • Group all the worksheets (except the filler). To do this, select the first sheet, hold the Shift key, and then select the last sheet.
  • Right-select the grouped sheets, and then select Move or copy.
  • In the To Book list, select (New Book).
  • Select OK.
Option 3
  • Save the file as a different Excel file type
  • In the Save as Type list, select a file format other than the current file format. If you are using Microsoft Excel 2007 or a later version, save the file as .xlsx or .xlsm instead of as .xls.

Option 4
  • Try to save the workbook to another location
  • Try saving your notebook to another location, such as a local hard drive, a network drive, or removable drive.

Option 5
  • Try to save a new workbook to the original location
  • Create an Excel workbook.
  • In the Save As dialog box, follow these steps:
  • In the Save in box, select the location in which the original workbook is saved.
  • In the File name box, type a name for the new file.
  • Select Save.

Regards,
Rick Bale

Rickbale
Just a questions ... Did You read previous reply's the last sentence? ( I copied it below )
I deleted them and everything appears to be fine now.

I think what you can do to fix this error is, save your data in a new Excel document or discard the changes and repair the original document. To save changes you made to your document, copy the worksheets you changed to a new Excel document and save it.
Check whether this works or not.

Ben Martin

Third-party add-ins turned out to be causing problems. I deleted them and everything works well now. I would've never thought to look there for the solution.

Back