• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Excel 2016 Pivot Chart Changes Chart Type on Update

ClarkPaul

Long time follower. Love your stuff!
Created a simple pivot chart with 5 series names, YRMO on X axis and percent in values. I used a Combo chart type. If I apply a filter that selects one of the 5 series names, I get a lame bar chart. If I select all 5 names, I'm stuck with the bar chart.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome and enjoy your stay.
Please take a peak at the forum rules.
Always a good practice to upload a file so we can see what the query is about and in general it helps us to help you faster and better.

You say you apply a filter. I wonder what happens if you would use slicers? Is the filter on the pivot or on the pivot chart?

Hi, the slicer causes the same problem. If I use a filter on the pivot or on the pivot chart and just select one name, it reverts my chart to a bar chart (actually a "clustered column" chart.

Please if possible upload your file, so we can see what's going on... Otherwise we need to guess, like I did in reply #2.

Hi,

I believe what its happening is "logic".
Take a read of http://www.contextures.com/pivotchart.html. Debra is the pivot reference in Excel land. That combo chart continues to work even with filtering the data.

Main difference with yours. You only have a single value and you have dimensions in both rows and columns.
Playing around with your data: I got rid of the time series and moved the org code to the row section on the pivot and I added a 2nd measure. Then the combo kept working.

Unfortunately I could find a way to make the pivot chart as you desire.
In this case you might need to work with an intermediate step. From the pivot, that you can filter, you make a data table that feeds your chart. See 2nd attached file. The chart can do with some formatting, but it just there to show the technique.

Attachments

• Copy of Chart Example-1_Pivot combo working.xlsx
    612.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Copy of Chart Example-Pivot_Standard Chart.xlsx
    462.8 KB · Views: 4
GraH and Narayan, Thank you very much!! Both excellent solutions and I'm finding the Contextures site very valuable.
Thanks again!!

Back