1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Excel 2016 Pivot Chart Changes Chart Type on Update

Discussion in 'Discuss Data Visualizations and Charting' started by ClarkPaul, Jun 14, 2018.

1. ClarkPaul

ClarkPaul New Member

Long time follower. Love your stuff!
    Created a simple pivot chart with 5 series names, YRMO on X axis and percent in values. I used a Combo chart type. If I apply a filter that selects one of the 5 series names, I get a lame bar chart. If I select all 5 names, I'm stuck with the bar chart.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. GraH - Guido

GraH - Guido Well-Known Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay.
    Please take a peak at the forum rules.
    Always a good practice to upload a file so we can see what the query is about and in general it helps us to help you faster and better.

You say you apply a filter. I wonder what happens if you would use slicers? Is the filter on the pivot or on the pivot chart?
  3. ClarkPaul

ClarkPaul New Member

Hi, the slicer causes the same problem. If I use a filter on the pivot or on the pivot chart and just select one name, it reverts my chart to a bar chart (actually a "clustered column" chart.
  4. GraH - Guido

Please if possible upload your file, so we can see what's going on... Otherwise we need to guess, like I did in reply #2.
  5. ClarkPaul

ClarkPaul New Member

Hi G, I attached the example file. Thanks

Attached Files:

6. GraH - Guido

Hi,

I believe what its happening is "logic".
    Take a read of http://www.contextures.com/pivotchart.html. Debra is the pivot reference in Excel land. That combo chart continues to work even with filtering the data.

Main difference with yours. You only have a single value and you have dimensions in both rows and columns.
    Playing around with your data: I got rid of the time series and moved the org code to the row section on the pivot and I added a 2nd measure. Then the combo kept working.

Unfortunately I could find a way to make the pivot chart as you desire.
    In this case you might need to work with an intermediate step. From the pivot, that you can filter, you make a data table that feeds your chart. See 2nd attached file. The chart can do with some formatting, but it just there to show the technique.

Attached Files:

7. NARAYANK991

NARAYANK991 Excel Ninja

Hi ,

See if this is acceptable.

Narayan

Attached Files:

8. ClarkPaul

ClarkPaul New Member

GraH and Narayan, Thank you very much!! Both excellent solutions and I'm finding the Contextures site very valuable.
    Thanks again!!