• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

* * * E V E R Y O N E - P L E A S E . R E A D * * *

Hui

Excel Ninja
Staff member
Hello Chandoo.org Forum Readers

Over the past few days there have been several posts where people haven't given sufficient data, have asked common questions like, "How can I post a file?" or have been, what I would call, "Rude".

It is important to note that the assistance given at Chandoo.org Forums is FREE and supplied by totally voluntary labor. The Volunteers, including me, get no rewards or returns of any sort for lending our assistance to you.

I encourage new and old forum readers to please note the 3 colored Posts at the top of the main Chandoo.org Forums page: http://chandoo.org/forums/

The 3 Green Sticky Posts are:

Hello Introduce Yourself: This is optional but join the community

Posting a Sample Workbook: This is raised about 5 times a day, yet is clearly in front of you at all times

Posting Rules & Etiquette [read before posting]
: This post has heaps of good info, Please Read ! ! !

The best way to get a prompt response is as follows:

1. Name your post appropriately

eg: "Sumproduct Formula not working" is much better than "IMPORTANT PLEASE HELP"

This is important as a Person who is unfamiliar with say SQL won't waste there time reading the post to determine that they can't help you.

2. Supply as much info as possible including what your trying to achieve and what error messages or wrong answers you may be getting. Include data like: Cell references, Formulas, and Upload a File if possible using the instructions at: http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/posting-a-sample-workbook

3. Don't hassle us, Although your problem may be important to you, the Volunteers here may all be busy on their day jobs or answering other posts or even sleeping as I was last night and hence didn't get back to a post I had answered. If you can't wait for FREE assistance I'd suggest you find a local Excel Consultant and pay them to get your solution?

I am sure that your compliance with the above simple rules will ensure that your posts are given the swift and appropriate attention.

Happy Posting

Hui...

Hui,

Well said, in addition, I feel that people should search the web before posting questions. You can usually find solutions to most problems, by searching Google.

@OldChippy, I will talk to Chandoo about changing the Format / Style of the Sticky Posts and will incorporate some of this post into the existing posts

@Kchiba, I agree, In fact most problems can be found here at Chandoo.org where there is very little Excel that hasn't been written about or posted about in the forums.

@Hui,

Noted Sir, I knew the post you were referring to was mine but had no such intention to make hassle or to irritate someone. I will keep this thing in my mind in future for sure.

Thanks.

Faseeh

Faseeh,

Your post was only one of many in the last few weeks.

I asked some questions of you as I went to bed.

Knowing/hoping that somebody else would pickup and follow through which they did.

I hope you got the answer to your problem.

Hui...

Hi all,

This is the most serious yet unofficial blog I have ever come across. Every one try to achieve the best and they are trying to learn the best ways to work with excel. However, NO ONE IS WORKING FOR ANYBODY. We have this in our mind when we post our questions. But, we know that some people may have the same problem and may benefit from the post.

A lot of things are difficult and not clear to me for example but I do not get upset when I do not have an answer.

I hope that this blog would continue as a virtual community that seek excellence in excel.

kchiba

This site is not only for those that are excel experts that want to network and stroke each other to feel good about themselves. But also for those that are not familiar with excel at all. These individuals may not even know what to look for or where to begine searching for an answer. Be careful when you tell people that they need to go elsewhere to find the answer before coming here and asking a question. They mite do just that and never come to Chandoo for there excel questions and help. Most people like myself do not have all day to sit infront of a computer to search and read every post in hopes of stumbling across the answer. We just needs to get an answer from someone or somewhere.

If individual who are new to this site and excel came to the forum to ask a question and read your response above they very well would be inclined not to even ask a question in fear that it has already been addressed.

If anyone asks a question that you have already answered a few hundered times do not answer them if you will come accross angry or frustrated. Or just state " Hey that is a great question! And a very commone one. Here are a few links that will take you to that very topic"

Just my thoughts

Hi Jhemmerly:

I think you're misinterpreting Hui. He's not saying "don't ask a basic questions". In fact, if you read through some of Hui's posts, I think you'll find that he spends quite a bit of time answering basic questions. I think what he is doing is just trying to keep everybody in a single file line.

Appreciate Ninja sir's view....On another note, I believe there should be a thanks/like button in the forum.

Good Morning Day_I.

I was replying to kchiba statement. (Second response to Hui)

Everyone have a great and successful day!

Back