• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Defined Names Error

tomitsch

I get the following error when saving in compatibility mode (yes, most of our users are on 2002 Excel, while I am using 2007)

Some formulas in this workbook are linked to other workbooks that are closed. When these formulas are recalculated in earlier versions of Excel without opening the linked workbooks, characters beyond the 255-character limit cannot be returned.

It says "# of occurrences - 1 Defined Names" I cannot click on it to show me where it is finding the error.

I have deleted all of the defined names,deleted sheet by sheet to identify which sheet supposedly has the problem. Then I tried to change all the text field to "Text" style thinking it might be getting confused. The text turns into a series of "#####," even if I put text wrap to On. Some of the text on the sheet does exceed 255 character limit.

Any ideas?

Tomitsch

Have a look in the following areas:

Charts that may still have links

Hidden Rows, Columns or Sheets

Data Validation lookups

Can you shift the Workbook to a location which has a shorter name and save it first

ie: C:Budgets is a lot shorter that Network nameBusiness unitdivisionsectionYearMonth etc

There are no links in this spreadsheet at all. If I delete everything except that sheet I still get the error. I do have enormous amounts of text in the sheet, but even deleting the large text columns i still get it.

Back