• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Daily Timesheet upgrade features problems: Group, Sum, Display

JOC

Project:

Starting with the classic "Daily Timesheet" project, I'm trying to add convenience features. I'm customizing how I'd like to record my daily activities for time reporting. I need fast access, quick activity entry with time stamping, and auto summing of those activities as the day progresses.

Progress to date:

I have the: auto time-stamping, pull-down list of activities, an elapsed time per activity column, and a time rounding (nearest 10th hour) function in place. All of which need some tweaking, but I'm enjoying the learning curve.

Problem #1:

How to "sort, sum, display" the totals of each, of what can be 20 individually named activities, worked several times each throughout the day. I can't seem to find the magic combination of VLookup, or Pivot Table, or data validating that will give the condensed results I'm hoping for (ignoring blank cells and non-valid activity names), without adding more clicks. This is supposed to be fast, with minimal fuss.

Problem #2 (related to #1):

How to make the elapsed time per activity "show" immediately when the next activity is selected? I know the elapsed time from the start of the previous entry is being calculated, but it doesn't display until I've entered three more activities. Something about making the next elapsed time cell the "active" cell, after selecting the next activity from the adjacent column's drop down chooser?

FYI-columns headings are: A-time stamp, B-activity (drop down list from another worksheet), C-elapsed time between consecutive entries, D-rounded elapsed time (for summing), E-percent of day spent on each particular activity.

Many thanks to all who may respond. I'm running low on Tylenol.

Hi ,

If your data is not confidential , and you can post a sample worksheet with at least 50 rows of data , then you can get answers before you run out of Tylenol.

You may have seen that quite a few questions involve a lot of back and forth communication , which takes up anything from hours to days.

Narayan

Hi ,

Just use your favourite file sharing service ( Rapidshare , Skydrive , GoogleDocs , Sendspace ... ) to upload your worksheet , set its access rights so that everyone can access it , and post the access link here.

Narayan

or read the Green post at the top of the http://chandoo.org/forums/ page

"Posting a Sample Workbook"

Back