• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Could my excel workbooks be corrupted? [ SOLVED ]

cricket1001

I've been working in several workbooks for the past couple of months with no problem. Then yesterday out of the blue I'm having problem every time I copy/past number from another sheet in the workbook or even from a workbook that I don't use very often, that it is always pasted in the Date Format, March 14, 2012. I've never had this happen before but it is very frustrating. I am attaching a file that shows a demonstration of it with more explanation.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Formatting Problem.xlsx
    32.8 KB · Views: 9
Has anybody else new accessed the files or updated there windows system ie: installed a new Windows version ?

Hi @cricket1001
The number format appears to be picked up from the 'normal' (default) style of your workbook.
If you modify the Style to return 'General' as its Number format, then all the dates in the workbook will revert to simple numbers.

If the problem extends to new workbooks then the change would need to be made on the default template workbook.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies.
vletm - I haven't changed anything that I know of to have caused this.
Hui - I don't know of anyone changing anything but our IT dept does any updates or changes and we never know if anything has been done.
Peter Bartholomew - I'm sorry but I am confused on the styles. I highlighted a cell that has the problem with the date format and then clicked on "Cell Styles" in the ribbon. I didn't get the screen shot you showed. (I tried to take a snip of the screen shot of what showed but I can't figure out how to take a snip without the menu item closing before I can take the snip.)
zesid - What do you mean, change the date format? What cells do I change the date format on? I don't know what cells I might need for dates in the future. Are you and Peter Bartholomew talking about the same thing, for me to change the style for the cells? All the cells?

Thanks so much y'all!

@cricket1001
If you do not apply a style, the default is Normal. Go to the Home tab and look at the styles; you will see a pale outline to the Normal style showing that it is active. Right click the style and select Modify...; it is the number style that is causing you grief. Click Format... and change the number format back to General. Your unwanted dates should disappear.

I've been working in several workbooks for the past couple of months with no problem. Then yesterday out of the blue I'm having problem every time I copy/past number from another sheet in the workbook or even from a workbook that I don't use very often, that it is always pasted in the Date Format, March 14, 2012. I've never had this happen before but it is very frustrating. I am attaching a file that shows a demonstration of it with more explanation.

Thanks!
To Repair a corrupted workbook
When Microsoft Excel detects a corrupted workbook upon opening, it automatically starts File Recovery mode and attempts to repair the workbook. If File Recovery mode doesn’t start, try using this manual process to recover your workbook:

Click File > Open.
Click the location and folder that contains the corrupted workbook.
In the Open dialog box, select the corrupted workbook.
Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.
To recover as much of the workbook data as possible, pick Repair.
If Repair isn’t able to recover your data, pick Extract Data to extract values and formulas from the workbook.
If neither automatic nor manual repair works, there are some recovery methods that might help salvage your data. You can also take some preventive measures to avoid losing your work by automatically saving a backup copy of your workbook or creating a recovery file from time to time.

I hope this information will be helpful to you!
Ben Martin

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful advice. I've learned a lot from y'all. Special thanks to Peter for solving my problem in the best way for what I needed.
[Solved]

Back