• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Cannot open excel .xls files with Excel 2007 .xlsx program

CartJeremy

Hi,

I cannot open excel .xls files with Excel 2007 .xlsx program [old files date back to 2001]. Get "ƾ° ™À¸fU¦˜À8 jõÖí©@" every line. Please advise.

Using Windows 7 and Excel 2007.

Thanks

Jeremy

Firstly, Welcome to the Chandoo.org Forums

Try using File, Open, Select the file and Select the File Type using the drop down
I would choose Excel Files, not All Excel File Types

The following steps might help recover your file:
  1. Click the File menu

2. Click Open

3. Locate the file, but do not click the Open button. Instead, click the drop-down arrow next to the Open button.

4. Click "Open and Repair"

5. In the dialog that pops up, choose "Repair". If that does not work, try the "Extract Data".

6. Let us know if this works. If not, we will see what else we can come up with for you.
In such a cases where the recovery function are not work properly in Microsoft Excel that you can use the effective third-part tool: Download Microsoft excel repair tool

I cannot open excel .xls files with Excel 2007 .xlsx program [old files date back to 2001]. Get "ƾ° ™À¸fU¦˜À8 jõÖí©@" every line. Please advise.
MS Excel 2007 or later versions have no problem opening an old XLS file. The characters you're showing above are, certainly, JUNK. As far as I can see here, it's corruption, undoubtedly. Using a professional recovery solution for recovering data from corrupt XLS file might be helpful. Plenty of software vendors are available in the market which provide such solutions with free demo/trial version. Before anybody can purchase any such paid software, he/she must download free demo/trial version. By using demo/trial, one can see what could possibly be recovered from the corrupt Excel file before actually paying for the software.

Also, one can try few easy manual tricks which include using Open and Repair, data extraction from corrupt Excel sheet (by using Macro), using SYLK (symbolic) format to recover data, etc. Refer to this blog post for detailed information - http://wordpress.semnaitik.com/2014/03/05/repair-excel-file/

I hope the shared information would be helpful here.

Thanks and best regards.

Back