• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

array entered percentile IF formula

PremSivakanthan

Hi all, I have a question on array formulas. I have come up with a formula that achieves the desired outcome, but I wondered if there was a more elegant solution. Essentially I want to calculate a conditional percentile. My data is structured as follows:

A B C

Name Grade Score

John A 45.67

Tim B 67.9

Jimmy D 31.0

Jack A 66.67

and so on.

My data is obviously alot larger than this, and will be refreshed every week - so I dont want to be mucking around with filtering the data in anyway. There will be many records where the score is equal to 0 that I want to exclude from all calculations.

I want to calculate the 25th percentile of grade A students, where the score is not equal to 0.

assuming I'm using named ranges, this does the trick:

{=PERCENTILE(IF((grade="A")*(score>0), score, ""), 0.25)}

I wondered if there is a better way to ahcieve the same outcome? In other words, is there another way to create an array in memory without the use of the IF formula?

my above post came out a bit funny,

in column A you have all of the names

in column B you have all of the grades

in column C you have all of the scores

Without using IF specifically? Yes. However, the ways I can come up with are still using similar formulas (COUNTIF and SUMIF).

PremSivakanthan

Just one question

Won't by default the A graders have a score >0

and so the "Score>0" is not required,

or

Do you pre-populate the Names and Grades without a score?

Hey Hui, it is possible (in my dataset) for somebody to have an A grade, but a zero score...! I know it doesnt make sense when you first think about it, but it does make sense if I were to explain it fully (that would take too long to do).

Im actually working with sales data, but to keep it generic I thought people might understand grade based data easier.

Back