• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Your favorite Excel feature...?

Jordan

By feature, I don't mean code or formulas. I mean the activities and buttons that Excel provides to allow you to work on, or with, your spreadsheet. For example, I find I use these features all the time:

The Camera Tool

When I first learned about the Camera tool, I thought "that's neat," but I didn't really like it very much. Specifically, I didn't like how it managed to mangle the resolution of whatever it referenced. But now I'm coming around to the camera tool. Keeping it sized and scaled correctly goes along way to ameliorate distortion.

Snap-To-Grid

I couldn't live without this feature. I really like when my graphs are lined up perfectly. I used to zoom in really close and line my shapes up in a slow, painstaking, and frustrating process. I was such a chump! I can't live without snap-to-grid. In fact, I should just copy and paste this paragraph and place it at the top because it should be first. (But I won't because then I'd have to delete the former sentence. And this sentence. And this one, too.)

Evaluate Formula

Do I really need to explain how showing each step in a long complicated formula is amazing? I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how much I also love the ability to highlight portions of a formula and evaluate them on the fly by pressing F9 (which, I believe, is closely related to the capabilities provided by Evalute Formula).

So what have I missed?

Also, if you guys trash Snap-To-Grid know this: them's fightn' words!

The Data Table function in Data, What-If Analysis

http://chandoo.org/wp/2010/05/06/data-tables-monte-carlo-simulations-in-excel-a-comprehensive-guide/

Those are all great additions.

@Hui, I've been asked if Monte Carlo simulations are possible in excel. I always respond with a link to your tutorial :)

Good day Jordan

By burying your question in another topic are those you are trying to reach going to return to read it?

@ NARAYANK991

The Evaluate Formula, would be better if you could enlarge the damn thing! I have hunted high and low to a solution and to no avail, not even through VBA.!

@bobhc What do you mean? Are you asking if the lounge is the best place for it? If it's not, feel free to move it.

@Jordan, The lounge is the correct location for this post

Glad you liked the Monte Carlo post :)

I'm also confused as to BobHC's question but I'm sure he will enlighten us if required

Good day Jordan and Hui

The lounge is the correct place no question, I may have put it in the wrong terms ! It is just that I have been looking at posts to try and get rid of spam tags and I have found many that are being tagged in "old" posts, but while doing the cleaning I have seen posts that are buried in the forum that do not relate to the OP question and as such do not attract the viewers that they would if they had thier own headlines, many forum members answer a question and then do not revisit the posting again as they feel they have do all they can

Oh, because I agreed with Hui and then sorta changed the subject? I get it. Yeah, most of these posts that happen in forums outside of 'Ask a Question' don't seem to have a lot of staying power. This comment, right here, might even be the last for this discussion. I knew when I made it 2 or 3 people - or nobody - might respond, which is why I thought it good Lounge material. In any event, I think Chandoo's Friday Poll probably put the nail in the coffin for this as a forum topic. Blog discussions are just more fun!

But before I go, the BEST thing Excel (and Microsoft Office) ever did was to retire Clippy. I hate paperclips.

Back