• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

When using Excel for client work, how do you see your role?

When using Excel for client work, do you think of yourself as:

• An author who is writing an Excel document for the client to work with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peter Bartholomew

One possibility is as an author who is writing an Excel document in partnership with the client, for them to work with and modify to meet their future needs. In this scenario, the deliverable is a document the spreadsheet techniques used should be those the client understands so that they can check the formulae and further modify them. The spreadsheet syntax is the language of communication between supplier and client.

Another possibility is as developer who is creating a solution [to a specific problem] or app [applicable to a class of problem] that just happens to be built using an Excel as an IT platform. In this scenario, you are the developer tasked to produce a solution and it is likely that the client lacks the time or ability to perform the task for themselves. Provided suitable V&V is in place, there is no requirement for the client to be able to read an Excel formula or understand the grid or spreadsheet referencing. The client need only see a user interface specific the their problem and have confidence in the results.

Depends on contract and what's needed by client.

But I mostly use Excel for initial analysis, ad-hoc reporting and for proof of concept. I usually end up building final product using other tools (PowerBI, AMCharts, NextReports, SQL DB etc). Since most clients want clould/server based solution accessible from mobile device these days.

Though small business clients do tend to go for Excel based solution (unless they are tech oriented company), due to cost being a major factor in their decision making process.

@Chihiro
Since your delivered products appear to be highly sophisticated in terms of their IT content, I assume the clients do not expect to 'check the sums' formula by formula and do not dictate the techniques you may or may not use.

...highly sophisticated...

Not really. I'm just jack-of-all-trades. Having spent most of my career working at/with entrepreneurial companies.

As for 'check the sums'... I provide minimum of two different methods to arrive at same result, and ensure numbers add up horizontally and vertically (along with method to obtain raw data for manual check). And I do document all assumptions, calculation logic and query methods for clients.

I've audited my share of various automation, but yet to find system that gave 100% correct result all the time. There is always some error that will creep into the system at some point.

So, no matter what the solution I provide, I always recommend monthly validation. And updating business assumptions on regular basis.

Back