• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

What's in your ribbon?

Chihiro

Excel Ninja
I was looking at my ribbon menu today and realized I have few tools that's non-standard. I wonder, what do you use in your Excel, that's non-standard menu item, to increase productivity and assist in day to day work?

I have following add-in/non-standard features that I use regularly.

1. Inquire - For analyzing workbook structure and assist in documentation process.
https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-inquire-ebaf3d62-2af5-4cb1-af7d-e958cc5fad42

2. Dax Studio Excel Add-In - For optimizing PowerBI data model performance
http://daxstudio.org/

3. xlwings - Python integration. Using Anaconda 3, running Python 3.6.3. Mostly for array/list manipulation and various academic interest.
https://www.xlwings.org/

4. Legacy (Custom Group) - For backward compatibility, have MS Query (removed in latest update of Office 365 from standard menu) and other tools added here.

And few other add-ins that I turn on or off depending on need.

Hmm, ... Nothing. I go with standard. With good reason. I do not need those nifty tools in day-2-day. Hardly need Excel any more. And my IT has to be convinced about the "benefit" of such tools. After PP and PQ for XL2010, I gave up...
Yours is very neat though, Chihiro. Some things to check out and spread the word. Xlwings sounds interesting form some of my colleagues. I knew about 1 and 2.

Hmm, I still find Excel to be one of best tool for adhoc analysis and quick proof of concept for application/model build.

I may produce most of my reports via PowerBI, AMCharts and other online publishing methods. But I still use Excel to build initial model and study data structure of source.

It's readily available in most environments, widely used by business organizations, relatively low cost for it's performance and has very good community resource. It's hard to beat cost performance of Excel for quick data analysis.

Hi Chihiro,
Interesting....

I have nothing much except these which are helping in my day 2 day work:
RDB Merge at office and home
PQ at home only (using 2010) - Started using / learning recently.

Hope someday I will be able to digest these things like you do.

Regards,

PS: Chihiro do you have life? (other than Excel) .. :):p

When working with small to mid sized companies, you tend to be jack of all trades and pick up whatever tool is necessary to get the job done quickly and cheap ;)

And yes I do have life outside Excel. It's SQL, R and Python :p

Joking aside, I don't use PC or visit forum on most weekends and rarely check after 6pm.

When working with small to mid sized companies, you tend to be jack of all trades and pick up whatever tool is necessary to get the job done quickly and cheap ;)

Exactly, that is way I started learning PQ.

yes I do have life outside Excel. It's SQL, R and Python :p
:DD

Joking aside, I don't use PC or visit forum on most weekends and rarely check after 6pm.

Good to hear that, have great days.

Regards,

To be honest the only extra things on my ribbon apart from PP & PQ are macros that I run constantly. I'm too lazy to search through a ton of macros so its easier to just have specific ones ready to go.

I think my life does revolves around Excel at office because anything remotely DB related has to be referred to IT guys because they're the only ones with backend access. Most I can do is troubleshoot EDI if I'm contacted by pulling the input/output files. But any system or backend enhancements & changes have to go through IT. I don't particularly use PP/PQ either because all our data is structured and I don't need to do any sort of Benchmarking or Market Analysis etc. from external sources.

So essentially speaking Excel is the bread & butter for me with a sprinkling of EDI. I do miss SQL though, Select * the hell out of everything LOL kidding. Nowadays the only coding I do is VBA.

PQ is especially useful to me when querying Rest API with authorization token. Used to do it via VBA or custom program (Python, R, etc combined with Excel).

But PQ does handle things very nicely and is able to parse JSON with ease. :)

Just finished proof of concept using PQ & Excel for Flurry Analytics dashboard (they do have their own dashboard, but controls are atrocious and I hate the way it presents the data). Next step is to work out some kinks and migrate to PowerBI for realtime dashboard.

hey all,

I did something following which the view of the inventor has been changed and now I am unable to find get the default outlook/view back.

Below is the user interface I would like to change to default.

Please help me change it as it is quite difficult to cope with.

original
Thanks
Regards Jon

Back