• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

What Is The Best Way To Search Display Worksheet Data?

I have a form I created with Visual Studio.

I plan to display upcoming due projects (like notifications) in a section of the form.

I was thinking a small scroll-able area on my form would be best.

It will pop up the scroll-able table with data based on which project was due soonest.

I know that I have to store this data somewhere for it to be called, and I know I will need some script to check this stored data file to refresh itself.

However, my question is what would be best to accomplish this?

MS Excel or MS Access, and is there a standard term (article) someone could refer me to so I can get started?

If there is no special reason to store the data in Excel, you shouldn't.

Use another data store for speed and reliability. Access is OK. Microsoft recommends using SQL Server for general purpose use (there is a very lightweight desktop version available for free). Various open source stores, or even an XML file accessed, for e.g., with ADO, as a lightweight solution with no extra prerequisite installs required (appropriate for single user/single instance/no concurrency) would be better.

Beyond that, I don't have specific info for you, maybe others will or for the most pointed experience maybe ask in a .Net (I assume you mean VS.Net) Forum.

Asa

Back