• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Vlookup Return the next occurrence

david2312983

Hi

I'm attempting to return the next occurrence of a value in a list.

I have a list in column A with 6 %'s in. In column B there is a staff number that corresponds to the person who achieved the %.

[pre]
Code:
A       B
100%    1
100%    2
92.31%  3
100%    4
84.62%  5
100%    6
[/pre]
I'm then trying to put these values in a league, in ascending order by the %. The formula I've tried to used is =Large(A1:A6,1),=Large(A1:A6,2), etc. Then for the Staff code to appear next to the % in the league I have used =Vlookup(A1,A1:A6,2,0).

However, as there are multiple entries of 100% the staff code keeps returning 1 for each 100% entry, as it's next to the first 100% entry I presume. So I need to try and find the Nth_Occurrence, but I'm unsure how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi David ,

If you data is in the range A1:B6 , with the percentages in column A , and the staff IDs in column B , then in any two columns , say columns E and F , enter the following formulae :

E1 : =LARGE($A$1:$A$6,ROW(A1))

F1 : =INDEX($B$1:$B$6,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$6=E1,ROW($A$1:$A$6)),COUNTIF($E$1:E1,E1)))

The formula in F1 is to be entered as an array formula , using CTRL SHIFT ENTER.

Copy these two formulae downwards.

Narayan

Hi David,

Please try this one also..

Code:
=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$6)+COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)-1

Regards,

Deb

Back