• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Visual Presentation: Status, Share, Number, Timeline - all in one. NEED HELP!

me4sunny

Hi!

I am pretty new to this forum, to Excel and many other things:) My boss asked to to produce "something" that demonstrates how complex and BIG our project is.It's sort of a dashboard.

We are rolling out a project for the next two years. We have 6 groups of customers each group rolled out as a separate project.

Need to be able to see quickly:

Project status and progress by group

Overall progress of the whole program at current moment (measured by number of clients implemented and supported by volume and product lines now using the project) needs to be a time-line that moves on a graphic from left to right...

Geographical spread of customers and indication of their size (done a map for that with tableu.com)

Sales volume and number of order lines per group PLUS by each of 8 BIG suppliers that are implemented in parallel to the 6 groups.

I use map with different sized circles for geographical spread and relative size (by sales volume) but I don't know how to show the rest of the data...

Numbers I have:

list of clients (62)

client's type (2)

groups of clients (6)

% complete from all phases by group and client (6 phases)

sales volume by client (adds up to 100% of all sales) (ranges from 10,000 to 89,000,000 in currency)

Number of product lines by client (range from 2 to 25)

1. WHAT VISULAS TO USE?

2. How to deal with data of so many different ranges (a couple of lines vs. millions of sales volume)and both amounts and %

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!! I am a temp worker and I feel that this work will make or break my contract extension which is coming in the next two weeks (or not)

Hi ,

If you are new to Excel , then getting the complete dashboard done by interacting with others in this forum may be quite time-consuming ; if your file(s) don't have any confidential data in them , if you upload them to this forum , people may be willing to do the whole dashboard for you , or at least as much as will give you that extension.

Narayan

MAybe you can refer to the following posts from Chandoo :

Burndown Chart

Inside it you'll find useful links to Timeline and other dashboard items

Timelines

But I doubt you'll cope with this in a week or two. At least a draft of it would be done.

Hope this help

cyril

Hi me4sunny,

Kindly upload a sample file! Randomize data by using randbetween() and rand() and provide a sample file.

Regards,

Faseeh

Hi! I've cleaned up the file I have so that hopefully it is not confidential anymore...

Not sure, how to provide it for download - here is my attempt with Google Docs

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtwluE6tAhUmdFU4RTBWSERXcTNSNTB1WGo1bnU5ZFE

I thought I try to outline again what my boss wants:

1. overview of where each client implementation is (% complete vs. 100% which is end of Hypercare)

2. one picture that shows: number of suppliers going live per quarter (separately B2B and Portal) plus an indication if we are on or off target for past and current quarter)

3. this on/off target could possibly be a separate graph but it again needs to show portal and B2B separately - We can be below / on/ above target

4. a map showing where our customers are and indicating their size and distinguishing between... Portal and B2B

5. Space to write: achievements/issues&risks/next steps

6. overall project status (the usual GYR)

So overall they want Portal and B2B separate for most data and each Portal group is considered as a proper go-live rather a step towards an end goal.

The only difficulty ere: we start one group when we are about 60% through with the first - so groups do overal but for example right now we are implementing group 2, kicking off group 3 and there are another 3 groups that won't be touched for another 4-5 months so there won't be much change in their status for quite a while (usually one group takes 2-4 months to implement; each B2B takes about 6 months and we do 2-3 in parallel)

B2B clients always listed with their names and should never be combined into one line (e.g. for project status)

As we are at the beginning of the project a lot of project reporting data is still missing so I just put numbers to see how charts will look like further down the line.

@ cyril: I've tried to customsie Timeline but some of the instructions are not detailed enough for my level of knowledge :-( So i just used it there way it is (for 12 months) and changed the data labels and numbers to suite my needs as good as it was possible)

I also created actual vs. target bar chart (thanks a lot for those posts, looks really cool") but I couldn't' display B2B and Portal in one graph. So it only worked one for portal one for B2B and that left very little space for all those text sections (next steps, issues, etc.)

This dashboard should be used to provide high level update to very senior management rather then to manage the project... and hence they need minimum elements with maximum message

Hi me4sunny,

Just downloaded your file, am trying to work that out...

There are two sheets in your file: Basic Data & Projects, please explain referring to these sheets what do you want to do.

Faseeh

Thanks for having a look!!!

I've separated the Project related data that we might use for project reporting (worksheet Project)and general info about customers: geographical location, sales volume, which group they belong, etc. - this all is in the first tab. So they are two parts of one thing

Hi me4sunny,

I am sorry but i think it is still confusing. Let me give you a suggestion. Take and pen and paper and plot a layout of your dashboard. I think this is first step towards making a dashboard.

Secondly it is difficult to understand industry-specific technical Jorgan. so please avoid them. Referring to the post no. 04 on this thread I would like to ask few question:

Regarding Point 01, I think this must be some sought of graph based on following data:

For plotting Actual vs target progress the data will be from A13:B19

For graph between umber of suppliers going live per quarter (separately B2B and Portal), it must be between c4:D10

For n indication if we are on or off target for past and current quarter), it must be B22:E29.

Graph relating to point 4 based on first sheet's data.

Kindly Explain GYR!! and please correct if any thing is wrong in above assumptions.

Faseeh

Yea mock up how you want it too look. and we should definitely be able to help you out. Try and do what Faseeh said and break it down to normal jargon.

Back